92 speedometer help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by NavyMC, Oct 23, 2012.

1. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    My pops has an old beat up 92 Toy, 2wd, manual tranny, and the speedometer does not work. I am not familiar with this year Toy as mine is a 78 and is mechanical. I noticed when I changed the clutch for him that the pickup is not mechanical. Sooooooo, what is the culprit here? Again, I am not familiar with the parts and set of of this year/model and any advice would be helpfull.

Cheers!:shrug::brickknock::runaway::duh:

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    There is a cable that runs behind your dads gauge cluster, out the fire wall and into the drivers top side of the trans. It is the round quarter sized threaded plug.The whole cable needs to be replaced.

3. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Does this year model operate with a mechanical system like my 78? My little 78 has the standard mechanical line from the tranny to the instrument cluster. The same system on a 92?

thanks!

4. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Yessir it's just a cable.The year ,man trans info will get you the correct replacement.

5. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Thanks brother! Hope Guam is treating you wll, its been a LONG time since I was last there!!!

Cheers from Tennessee!!!!

6. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. What brought you here If you don't mind me asking?

7. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    The military. I never stayed ther for very long though but I must have stopped over night about 50 times over my 25 year career. Cool place and I always wished I could be stationed there to enjoy the fishing!

Cheers!

8. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    I think 91 is when the changed to electrical

I believe you have an electrical speedo. No tools required to check. Just look underneath. On the passenger side of the tranny, If you see a cable going to the firewall, bingo, you've got mechanical. If its a harness, then obviously the other.

If you do have an electrical speedo, my guess is that the connector backed out or the grounding on the cluster is off. Take your cluster off and check.
    Good luck:waytogo:

9. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Navymc I think I might have been wrong. Your truck might have an electric spedo on the passenger side.It's best to bend down there and look because I actually have one with a cable set up also.I went to my truck yesterday to confirm and saw the a cable so I figured cable.Sorry for the miss info if I was wrong. Also I do a lot of fishing and hunting on Guam. It's awesome.

10. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Ok so this is a 5 speed from a 91 I have cable[​IMG]and this is from my 92electric[​IMG]

11. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    We pulled the dash just for fun and it is certainly electric. On top of no cable going through the firewall. Thanks to all for the help, no worried on the info/missinfo, I don't get all wrapped over that sort of stuff. Lets just say that we connect the instrument cluster back up and it still doesn't work???? Would it be safe to assume that its the instrument cluster? I immagine that the sender in the trany is just a magnetic generator, which rarely go bad????

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!

Homegrown, I bet both are awesome there on the isand. I do NOT miss the brown snake inspection of the aircraft prior to flight though!!!! I hate those things!!!! Are there still a ton of those criters crawling around there?