87 Gas Tank Replacement - sizing issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by PhilinVirginia, Mar 22, 2011.

1. PhilinVirginia

PhilinVirginia Newbie

Truck:
    87 XtraCab Long Bed RN70
    BACKGROUND: I need to replace the gas tank on an '87 XtraCab Long Bed 2WD Pickup. Mileage 220K miles.
    My Owner's Manual states I have a 13.8 gallon gas tank. This agree with the most gas I have ever put in.
    My model code is RN70 which does not show up in the VIN decoders other than to tell me I have the 22R engine with the mechanical gas pump which I already new.

PROBLEM: When visiting various parts sites online, the RN70 model code does not compute. Examining fuel tank options for 22-R, all fuel tanks online are 17 gallon capacity. I am trying to determine what is my best option here - just try and fit the 17 or what?
    Will it fit? I was anticipating buying new straps at the time I buy the tank.
    Are there any unique gasket and hose issues?

Also - what about a new fuel gauge sending unit? Can't seem to find one that is OEM or stock replacement other than generic units. Don't want to buy from dealer.

Additional info: I have a new Airtex mechanical fuel pump with gaskets in a box as I am still running on the factory original and believe the original has started to malfunction. Intended to replace but the tank now comes first.

All help appreciated in advance.

2. PhilinVirginia

PhilinVirginia Newbie

Truck:
    87 XtraCab Long Bed RN70
    Anyone??? Hello??? Is this thing on???