86 toyota slow build, from rags to bags..

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Barret S, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    PRELUDE: Ok my father gave me this truck as my first vehicle about 10 years ago, i drove it maybe 4 years, and passed it on to my brother, cause i got a car and into imports as well as usaci spl comps. My brother drove it 3 years, blew the engine up, or engine died, truck sat for about 1 year and then my father passed away last year. he was a toyota fanatic, he had this little 86 toyota, a 91 4x4 toyota ext cab, and a 06 tundra quad cab.

So, in memory of my dad, and to save the truck from getting hauled off, i decided to build this truck, the way that i wanted to build it some 10 years ago when i worked minimum wage job and couldn't afford to do anything but stereo equiptment in it.

Truck: 1986 Toyota single cab, 2wd, 22r carb engine, 4 spd

Plans for truck:
    As we all know, plans change.. this and that, so this is always going to be a "current plans" list.
    SBC 350 swap with a sweet sounding cam and a few bolt ons.
    4x4 bed and fenders
    20" wheels, maybe have to stagger 18's in front due to fitment, preferrable boyd coddington wheels
    Custom headlights and tail lights, can't say yet what im gonna do, cause if i post it i would get pissy if someone got them before i did, sometimes to keep it original you gotta keep you mouth shut.
    Air Bag suspension, everything nipped, tucked, and shaved everywhere.

On with the show..
    Here are some pictures of the truck, as i picked it up, it has been sitting for 3 years, inside you will see some red tweed interior i did when i was 14 years old, its peeling now, but hey its 10 years old, what do ya expect..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My brother's trash BTW.. ugg nasty..

[​IMG]

Toyota transporting a toyota :)

[​IMG]

As you can see i got my work cutout for me..

I been inspecting the truck, i was torn between rebuilding the original 22r in the truck, becaust it is the original motor and has never seen a rebuild.. but i opted the more fun route.. 350 V8.. hate it or love it, its what i'm gonna do.

[​IMG]

Yes Original mileage.. the entire life of the truck, it has only seen 1 timing chain and water pump replacement, but i know you guys are not shocked at all to see that on an odometer..

Ok, now to get the ball rolling, after careful consideration.. i decided to get rid of the bed.. i always hated the bed with the lip, personal preference, i like a bed that is smooth all the way up the side.. few months ago on craigslist i came across a guy parting out a 87 4x4, so i went and bought the bed and front fenders off of him for $400.. its a fair price. Considering how i live in South Mississippi where every last 4x4 toyota truck has been sunk in a creek, up to the handles in the mud on a weekly basis or worse.. So to find a good condition bed was rare. As you guys know the 4x4 bed doesn't have the lip, and has the wider fender flares.. as if you didn't already know..

So $400 for the parts, $25 bucks for a lil primer and pads to get body work started and i'm $425 in the hole.. before this bed see's the truck, it will have its new tail lights, shaved tail gate, roll pan, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started ripping the interior out and cleaning up that MESS

[​IMG]

Started getting motor ready to pull until i can get a cherry picker to pull engine out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i pulled the exhaust off, drained fluids, etc..

[​IMG]

This build will be slow, because i work office hours and only get to touch the truck during the weekend cause i have no light to work in, and working on stuff in the winter months sucks.. these 40 degree mississippi winter nights are just so unbearable :cry:

[​IMG]

got one fender done, and started on the bed.. will update this build probably weekly as i work on it, its gonna take a while and i will definately keep an active log on money spent to give everyone an idea on what a big project costs, alot of guys don't realize when they see that slammed truck in the magazines or at a show, just how much sweat, blood, and money was poured into it.

So far, spent $425

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. 79*2wd

79*2wd Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 Regular Cab pickup
    hey man sounds like a good build cant wait to see it come together im loving the v8 idea :waytogo: chevy right???? :D anyway nice build!!

3. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    yea, aparently chevy swaps are the popular thing around here lately, one of my friends just put a LS1 out of a 04 Vette into his 91 Mazda Miata, its running 11.8's at the track.. Plus one of my good friends has an 86 toyota already bagged on 18's, he is putting a 350 in his too, so i'm just jumping on the bandwagon, two itches in life, one is to have a bagged truck, one is to have a vehicle with a stout V8, gonna scratch both at once :)

4. krazedprof

krazedprof Addict

Truck:
    1991 reg cab & 1994 4runner
    looks like a good start and 40 degrees i would love that try like 15 to 10 degrees average lol

5. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    yea i was just being a smart ass about that, ha, i feel for you man! here 1" of snow shuts the schools down!

6. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    I'm loving your build thread.. can't wait to see it come to life!

7. AllenB

AllenB Member

Truck:
    2003 Srunner taco and 90 v8 yoda
    What up man I live in north ms near Ole Miss I have a 90 yoda with a small block chevy in it . I like you build I love the 84-87 2wd yodas .:waytogo:

8. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    slowly but surely.. in the mean time i'm still doing body work on the bed.. and saving up for the 350 swap, i was shocked how cheap the mounts to put a v8 in a toyota are, there like 158 bucks!.. i'm used to honda's, where and engine swap mount kit is 500ish

9. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    hey thats cool, how much trouble did you run into when putting the v8 in it? What headers did you use? Oh, btw, did you know there going to start having Showfest again this year? its gonna be in Tunica, we plan on going.

10. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    ok, so its been raining alot lately, and i only get the weekend to work on things and i had to work on my integra yesterday so this evening i finally got around to doing something on the yota.. didn't get much done, but got dash ripped out, just a very small step in this very large project, but i felt satisfied knowing i got to do at least something.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    ok got a few min today to work on the yota again, got the front grill pulled, bumper, and lower valence. and a few things off the fender wells under the hood.
    [​IMG]

12. DannyBoyRude

DannyBoyRude Veteran

Truck:
    Looks like my truck.. looks good!!:waytogo:

13. Jimstang

Jimstang Newbie

Truck:
    1987 Toyota Pickup
    Heck yeah man...you've been puttin in some mad work and wrench time...good stuff...she's coming along nicely!

14. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    actually i wouldn't call i mad wrench time, i guess compared to my other projects, which some i have spent years on, i would call that mad time, but to do all of the above, not including the little body work i started on the bed, pulling the front grill, stuff from under the hood and interior, i maybe spent 7 hours so far.

15. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Bump, gonna try to start posting on this again soon, had to move and now i have my truck in a storage unit, gonna try to do the bed swap soon.:)

16. IndianScout

IndianScout Enthusiast

Truck:
    1986 Yoda Truck
    looks like my 86 also..

nice score..

88darthyota likes this.
  17. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    nice project

18. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Ok, so i'm big into imports and have alot of friends with imports. I found out one of my friends with a sprayed 350z had a spare set of wheels he didn't want because the offset was no good for him, i looked at them and realized they had the same pattern as the yota, so i test fit one and decided for the price (almost nothing compared to what these go for new) i would buy these for my project truck, i took some pics, they are 19" Axis Hagen's with 40mm offset. Keep in mind i have 4x4 fenders and bed that will be going on soon, so i may need spacers on the front to keep the wheels from looking too sunkin in, but as for the rear, i'm going with a ford 8.8 rear end out of a mustang, which is roughly 57-60mm wider over all, and will keep me from needing spacers in the rear.
    Hagens with 245/35's vs my stock 14's with 195/75's

[​IMG]

sitting flush up front, but that will change when i put the wider 4x4 fenders on.

[​IMG]

makes me cry sitting so high, its ok it will be bagged

[​IMG]

88darthyota likes this.
  19. GrantH

GrantH Addict

Hey dude, do you still have your old bed? We may can figure something out if you do, I wouldn't mind having a new one.

20. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Actually just yesterday evening i took the jap style bed to my friends house to give to him, he lives about 20 min away and technically now that i gave him mine he has a spare. He has an 86 bagged toyota already and it has a cut through bed which he doesn't want so i gave him mine and now he has the cut through bed laying around.