85 yota, trying to keep her running

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by GrantH, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    basicly after the idle screw touches the throttle cam, any farther in will raise the idle, you'll prolly need @ least 1+ turns to get it to the proper idle (750-900rpm)

the idle screw holds open the throttle a lil bit to keep the car running.

remember that the fast idle and idle screw are different, the fast idle is just used at intitial start up to help warm up/keep running while the choke is closed.

the idle screw only comes into play after warm up

2. GrantH

GrantH Addict

was told that it could possibly be the fuel stop solinoid. does that make sense at all? maybe i busted it messing with things.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i would blame anything you adjusted first.

unless you know you broke something it prolly isnt broken.

the tricky part is getting the idle right with out a tach, try 1 turn in, if it still doesnt idle by itself then go 2 turns total, keep track of how far you go for future refrence. or maybe somebody here can back out their screw and count how many turns so you can cheat.

besides if the fuel cut solinoid is broke one of 2 things would happen:

1. zero gas would make it to the carb

2. if you rolled your truck the gas wouldnt stop coming out, your truck would catch on fire, your burned carcass would be blamed for starting one of the largest wild fires in history:eek:

4. GrantH

GrantH Addict

i got it back running, but it didnt stay running long. i think the battery is so dead its not letting it spark after a little while. i am going to get it charged tonite or tomorrow morning and mess with it some more then.