84 pickup/22r wont start.

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by MarcinAJ, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

So I got an 84 pickup with 22r for $250 last week. Body has rust spots but the frame and engine look good thus far. I'm pretty excited to put some work into it as this will be my first truck and first carbed engine.

Finally got to look at it today and it cranks great after putting in a new battery but still doesn't want to start; the old battery had been charged the day I picked the truck up was only putting out about 7 volts today and there didn't appear to be any significant parasitic draw. The spark plugs all had a good layer of carbon fouling and have been changed along with the fuel filter. The current ignition coil checked out alright with my multimeter and I'm planning to test the ignitor as well when I get a chance to print the fsm pages.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed with this, so for the moment Ive hosed it down (covered my drive way in a nice think layer of reddish clay mud) and will be doing some research. Would really appreciate any help you guys can give.

2. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

Fuel pump tested out alright and the fuel lines don't appear to be clogged or ruptured as I was able to pull gasoline through them with a small hand pump.

Grabbed a spark tester from the store today and it didn't light up at all when I used it, so the park plugs definitely aren't getting power. Will see if I can find another ignitor and distributor in the junkyard over the next couple days.

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    No spark...its the ignitor. Prepare to pay a pretty penny for on in the yards, they go for 150 here

4. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

Just got back from the junkyard, walked the whole lot and there wasn't a single toyota pick up in sight. Will try one a couple towns over tomorrow as its simply to darn hot to go back outside today.

If I cant find one in the junkyards I'll probably go buy an MSD setup.

5. GrantH

GrantH Addict

did you swap out new cap and rotor in the dizzy?

6. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

I have replaced the distributors cap and rotor, no change. Also I noticed, there is a one terminal connector on the ignitor with a black wire that's not plugged into anything, and doesn't appear to even have a plug to connect to, anyone have any idea what it is? Comes out right next to the two terminal connector with brown and yellow wire that plug into the wiring harness.

7. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    WAIT! THERES A DIFFERENT SOLUTION!!...
    if your ignitor goes out, someone here posted the solution for it... just gimme some secs and i'll find it!

8. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
  9. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

I couldn't find a single toyota truck in the other junkyard either so I'll probably end up doing the GM parts setup.

10. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    sucks.... sweet & good luck....

11. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

Finally got back to this today. I was able to pick up another ignitor off ebay for cheap, else the truck would be sitting for another couple weeks when I can get it to school for a rebuild.

Anyway get the ignitor in, no change. Was checking out the distributor and just decided to give it a crank and see what happens and the thing doesn't even turn. Pulled off the valve cover and sure enough, timing chain is broken.