81 rn34!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by EzCruiser, Jul 22, 2009.

1. krazyasslunatic

krazyasslunatic Enthusiast

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    theres a pair those rims in the junkyard here with caps and all, gotta get around to picking them up one day

2. EzCruiser

EzCruiser Member

Looky what came in the mail, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully I can get to it this week! :drool:

3. plebean

plebean Newbie

Truck:
    '79 2WD Longbed
    I have a VERY similar truck and was wanting to do the same thing. could you post a pic of what you did to the torsion bars or just explain it more thoroughly? I'm pretty read up on how to drop the rears but I've heard the only way to really get a good riding drop in the front was to get drop spindles. Unfortunately they don't make drop spindles for our year so you'd have to modify some (if anyone knows of a writeup on that let me know!).

Attached Files:

4. EzCruiser

EzCruiser Member

Welcome to toyotaminis! If you are looking for a super cheap, somewhat practical and somewhat easy way to drop the front end of your truck, tackle the torsion bars. I don't have any pictures of it right now but I can take some and post them up for you.
    I backed off the nuts on the torsion bars until the nuts were approximately 1/2 inch from the end thread(end of the bolt). I achieved +-3 inches of drop with this method. Drop spindles are virtually non-existent for pre 84 trucks, but I haven't gone into much research on it. You should consider creating a "build up" thread for your truck, which I need to switch mine over to the right section...:verdict_in:
    But anyways, if you are interested I can get some pics, let me know!

5. plebean

plebean Newbie

Truck:
    '79 2WD Longbed
    yes! pics please!

6. EzCruiser

EzCruiser Member

plebean here are some pictures you requested:
    The torsion bolts are circled with red in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Assuming yours is exactly like mine you should do something like this:
    You will need PB Blaster, WD-40 or some kind of mineral oil to loosen the 2 nuts on each of the torsion bolts. Also, a couple 22mm box end wrenches or monkey wrench, crescent wrench combination. Two 22mm wrenches works the best.
    First, support the vehicle with a jack stand on each side of the frame near the front of the vehicle(not in your way). Regardless of how the bolt threads look spray pb blaster on all the threads and nuts and let it soak in for a bit. The worse condition they are in the more times you should soak the bolts and nuts and even consider hitting the threads with a wire brush.
    After you feel like the nuts have soaked enough, grab your wrenches and loosen the top nut first and move it further up the bolt. It's your discretion to how far you move it up, but you can see in the pic where I left mine and got a little more than a 3" drop. Keep in mind that you need to keep both the nuts because the top nut is a lock nut. Without it, one single nut would probably loosen itself from vibrations and cause your torsion arm to drop and grind in the ground:doah:.. Anyhow, loosen the bottom nut and tighten it against the top nut and repeat on the other side. Then all that is left is to jack it up and remove the jack stands and lower it to its new height.

Here is another picture for good measure.
    [​IMG]

7. 79*2wd

79*2wd Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 Regular Cab pickup
    when cranking the torsions how bad is the ride?

8. EzCruiser

EzCruiser Member

Remember me, lol.. Been a while, still have my truck! It's been in storage and I'm just now starting to get it back to it. Bought lots of goodies for it since I left out! I guess the best being a 22rte turbo! Anyhow just thought I'd kick the dust off this baby and say that there's more to come...

Oh yeah, I'm gonna post in the parts section about this but it seems appropriate here too.. I'm looking for a good 22r carb to rebuild or a weber! The linkage is worn down from the p/o not doing a proper carb rebuild, no wonder it ran like crap after it got warm..