79 Toyota Pickup suspension swap to 84+ suspension swap to Lower Truck

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by MrPhotoFinish, Jul 22, 2015.

1. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace my front end with a 84+ truck 2wd truck parts. I am looking for a complete list to do so. I am wanting to buy the drop spindles so that is why i need this info. From what i read, I will need brake calipers, rotors, hub bearings, lower control arms, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rods. I have heard that I will not need the upper control arms....

I have a 79 Toyota Pickup and if someone can give me a link to another forum with a comprehensive list of parts I would be very appreciative or if someone one here has done it, then if they can provide me with the parts that I need. I have seen some parts on here, but again, I just want more clarification.

Thank all of you for your help

2. Racersk

Racersk Member

brake calipers-yes
    rotors-yes
    hubs-yes
    bearings-yes
    lower control arms-yes
    upper ball joints-yes
    lower ball joints-yes
    inner & outer tie rods No, but great time to replace these wear items

...and you heard wrong about the upper control arms-you need them too as they match the 19MM stretch that the lowers give you.and now is the time to install Urethane bushings OR stock rubber ones, your current ones are old and crappy!

80 Pick up here- was stock, I lowered it on torsions, then added 89 stuff(as listed above) and added a 2" belltech drop to get steering geometry right. I then ditched that for a 3" LIFT spindle that I have on now. Running 31x10.5 offroad tires now with a 2" body lift.

88-95 is where you want to get your new parts from, I say new because most your entire list is/should be new parts. ONLY the control arms, wheel hubs with bearings (even if just races in these thatll be work fine if you were to get new bearings) and the Belltech spindles should be sourced on Ebay and Craigslist. You can pick-n-pull the hardware as needed.

You will reuse the stock torsion bar and lever arm on the 90's front end-the rear torsion x-member is located further back in 84+ applications.

I also have a minor brake upgrade on mine to- using 90's V6 1 ton calipers and rotors. 10.1" vs 10" rotors and a bit thicker. Pads and calipers are larger too- all bolts in place. these brakes are hard to source now remanufactered, but they are worth it- As I can lock my 31's on dry pavement if needed with the 1"dual diaphragm master cylinder/booster too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

79-83 L vs 89 R
    [​IMG]

Best shot I could find of everything assembled. 89 1ton rotors 89 LCA and UCA 80 tie rods lift spindle...
    [​IMG]

Brakes
    [​IMG]

PD60 in the FSM
    [​IMG]

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

3. MrPhotoFinish

MrPhotoFinish Member

Thank you OH SO MUCH!!!!! FOR THE confirmation of information!! If you were in Texas I would buy YOU SIR a case of beer. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE ALL THIS!! I will be posting in my build thread once i complete my suspension swap. i DOUBT I CAN GET ANY PARTS USED because here in Texas it is damn near impossible to find parts off of these kinds of trucks in a junkyard or craigslist. I have sourced all parts on Rock auto and Im getting a bill of around 300 bucks. no too bad, but then your talking about 300 in spindles too. and i need shocks. I hope its worth being drop!!

just so i am clear, we can still use the 79-83 steering knuckle, we just need to swap out the hubs, spindles rotors and calipers???

And what about the torsion bar, will a 79 torsion bar fit to 89 to lower control arms? Im shopping on rock auto and it looks like they have lower control arms with torsion bar holes and some with out.

I have entertained the thought of being lifted as well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. goffre

goffre Newbie

Truck:
    83 RN41 hilux
    do the later model upper and lower arms have the same wheel track width as the earlier model or is it slightly wider? i am about to do this conversion and have a set of 17x8 and 17x10 wheels with a +35 0ffset that i am thinking about using, currently they sit inside the guards with the torsion bars wound right down and sitting on bump stops, but they look like they need to be set out about 10mm wider, ( i have a 83 RN41 with 4wd guards on it)
    in the rear i have 3" blocks and am going to either put a later model diff to get a wider track or run 35mm spacers. (the 17x10s +35 dont fit past the chassis without being spaced out), i am also planning on doing a disk brake rear conversion, and may need to do some adjusting to the load proportioning valve setup? was considering doing the BA disk with R33 calipers up front

5. Jon Ybarra

Jon Ybarra Newbie

Truck:
    1983 2wd
    I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm trying to get some clarification and haven't been able to find it elsewhere.

I have an 83 2wd. I see the list above and can find all the parts either new or junkyard it I need to, but I need to know which 88-95 you mean to take the parts from. I was looking at a 1994 t-100, and I can get everything fairly cheap, and just wanted to make sure they're going to be something that fits

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Need the parts from a hilux pickup. Not t100/tundra.

7. Jon Ybarra

Jon Ybarra Newbie

Truck:
    1983 2wd
    Thanks, man. I'm new to the Toyota pickups, I had a 76 a few years back, but I never modified it. Now I have this 83 and want to do things, so it's like learning from scratch.

The other thing I've been seeing is the front springs, I saw someone asking if a guy used the dodge or mighty max springs, but other than the names of the springs, I'm not able to find years to use, or anything like that. Any clarification there?

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    79 and newer trucks use torsion bars not springs.