79 sr5 Fuse Box Diagram

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by MtHoodSub, Jun 22, 2016.

1. MtHoodSub

MtHoodSub Newbie

Truck:
    1979 sr5
    Hello,
    I am hoping someone can help me. I need a diagram of the fuses for a 1979 sr5 20r pickup, or a picture of the fuse box lid would be great.

Just inherited this truck, got it running, but none of the electrics work, except for starting and charging circuits. New fuel pump wired in on switch.

Any info on the fuse box is great. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Get a service manual. Theyre a big help

3. MtHoodSub

MtHoodSub Newbie

Truck:
    1979 sr5
    Had a Haynes, and took me a few hours to realize the wiring diagram was in there. They only listed it as 73-78 and then jumped to 80+.

After a lot of head scratching and matching wire colors to diagrams and continuity testing from fuse to component, finally figured them out.

Got most everything working, hazards won't work and driver side headlight is dim, ground problem somewhere I'm sure.

Its running pretty good now, replaced wheels and tires, full tune up, carb rebuild, new exhaust. Fun little thing.

Attached Files:

4. Steve M Clark

Steve M Clark Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5 short bed
    Try Rock Auto for parts and they have some factory service manuals plus others

5. MtHoodSub

MtHoodSub Newbie

Truck:
    1979 sr5
    I get most all my parts from RockAuto. I can't believe how cheap the parts are for this thing.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You ever try getting the wire diagram from autozone? They have repair manuals online, not the most complete or detailed but they help

7. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
  8. MtHoodSub

MtHoodSub Newbie

Truck:
    1979 sr5

I ended up staring at the Haynes manual, tracing colors and continuity until I came up with most of what I needed. Took me a while to figure out the wiring diagram for my truck was actually in there.

9. MtHoodSub

MtHoodSub Newbie

Truck:
    1979 sr5
    Perfect,
    That's what I have been looking for all along. Adding a copy of this to my Haynes
    Thank you 90DailyDriven

Jacob Pecora likes this.
  10. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Hey, I’m in a similar boat. Just picked up a 79 and the wiring is a bit jacked. Thankfully most things work but have an issue with wiring at the fuse box, and the truck all of a sudden wont shut off with the key. Did you happen to mark the color codes of all the wiring to the fuse. I figured out what the fuses due but don’t know the correct color wires as I have a few lose and damaged wires.

On another note, I noticed your from Sandy, I grew up there. I live in Aloha near Beaverton now.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    With the wire damage being what might be causing your issues a full rewire wouldn't be bad. Not to hard on a carbed car. Accessories will be what takes most of your time. Hazzard lights and the wipers got me. Not going to lie I'm still trying to figure out how to get all functions from the wipers. I do think I found my solution though. Lol

12. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Thanks for getting back. Wipers, and most lights are working. As I was working on a totally unrelated issue, all of a sudden I want to start truck to test the new clutch and all of a sudden the truck ignition wouldn’t shut off. It’s in accessory mode all the time. I have no idea what’s causing this. So starting poking around by the fuse box and found a green and yellow wire not really attached well to anything. So then i wiggled the green one and the seatbelt alarm goes off along with the fasten seatbelt light.
    I’m down to install a new fuse box and re-wire it up, but first I need to find a a diagram that labels all the wires and colors. Since most of my stuff works I’m reluctant to jump in. I also need to find a whole new fuse box would be ideal.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I figured damaged wire can be an issue because if you have exposed wires touching each other one can supply the other. Might find a stuck relay. I'm not sure how the wiring is so there might not even be one for the ignition. I guess an ignition switch could fail stuck on. A multimeter will help track down a problem.

14. JoJonez79

JoJonez79 Newbie

Hey guys. If anyone needs wire colors let me know. I’ve been trying to troubleshoot my trucks weird lighting issues and studying the wire diagram for days now. I’ve got pictures of the FSM’s wiring - not sure if it’s better than my Hanes manual or not, but it’s been helpful and a learning process.

15. Rad_Logan

Rad_Logan Member

Can you post some pictures? My entire gage cluster doesn’t work at the moment and the front bumper blinkers don’t work.

16. JoJonez79

JoJonez79 Newbie

Attached Files:

17. JoJonez79

JoJonez79 Newbie

Page 2

Attached Files:

18. JoJonez79

JoJonez79 Newbie

Color codes

Attached Files:

19. JoJonez79