79 not charging...

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Motormouth759, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Motormouth759

Motormouth759 Member

I got a 79 and its not charging. I know that the wires that plug into the back are not plugged in and the harness from the fender to it is missing they just have two wires ran to it. A blue and a green but they arent hooked to anything. Any help with colors and suck would be nice photos as well would help...

2. Motormouth759

Motormouth759 Member

3. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    go GM 1 or 3 wire and never look back.. alternator for 80-100(100A) and bracket for 40, or make it. 15$ in random wires or fuse, distribution block, et cetra, depending on how you do it.

i chased charging issues for a year, alternator, battery, voltage regulator, grounds, searched through wire harness, battery terminals, nothing fixed it.

and on top of that if you are missing parts of the system,it will be way easier to go GM alternator with internal voltage regulator.. 1 wire is good and VERY easy to install. 3 wire is better and a little harder to install, but i still considered it pretty easy.. and it's an upgrade!

i have some pics in this thread. the giant pics with red paint(my 4x4)
    22RE alternator upgrade - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
    The thread has some other links in it to a thorough explaination of the electrical side of it at madelecticsomethingorother link and someone else's build thread of making the bracket yourself, and trail-gear sells one, i bought mine from a person on pirate directly and trail gear is an exact boot-LEG of it.. Pirate used to be awesome for info, but last time i logged on they turned the site stupid, can't search or post without paying 25$ pissed me off, i couldn't even find stuff i last posted on in order to find this info!!!

i didn't go GM alternator at the beginning to keep toyota parts and not have to remember the model alt. etc. thought it would be hard to wire it.. DON'T talk yourself out of GM alt. swap!!! with my 3 wire hooked up i run 15 volts all the time regardless of what's on, lights are brigher, just hands down better.

4. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    so you fix it?

so.. what happened with your charging stuff? did you hook up the oem stuff or go GM simplicity?

5. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    53 dollars gets a g m 1 wire alternator at any autozone store !!!

6. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    but i cant find a bracket guess ill have to make one like every thing else iv done on my truck