78 pickup engine swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Toothlesstim, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Toothlesstim

Toothlesstim Newbie

Traded a rd350 for a 78 pickup last fall, runs and drives fine for now. The engine sounds like it's about to grenade so I've been trying to figure out what to replace it with. My friends all say 2jz but I'm not planning on racing it, and I don't have a lot of money. I just want it to be fun and semi-reliable. I'm thinking a 1uz-fe would be a good choice. Pros-cons what do y'all think?

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Congrats on the purchase....i would go with the 1UZ myself, there are a plethora of them available. If money is a concern then prolly stick with the 20r or go with the 22r.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Measure measure measure. Dont think anyone has stuffed one between the stock framerails on this gen truck.

Toothlesstim likes this.
  4. Peterdobey

Peterdobey Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Pickup
    I too have a 1978 Pickup that needs a new motor, but I have an automatic trans that they don't make a Rear Seal for any more. So I need a complete engine and trans assembly. What will fit? And with no power steering I can't drop a V-8 in her... Be kind out there...

5. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    You can drop an 4.0 Lexus v8 in there. Its going to be a tight fit thou

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Have you seen one yet? I haven't found this swap yet or many swaps into the older Hilux body...and several of the swaps end up swapping the front suspension among other things.

I've been dreaming about what to do with my Hilux for the last year. Mine doesn't need a new motor, but I want a new motor :)

Like everyone else I'd want to have a 1uz swap because I think a v8 minitruck would be a blast to drive. I've also considered the 2jz, the 3sge, and the 2rz/3rz. I've also considered doing a hybrid swap if I could ever figure that one out (like from a Prius) so I could DD this truck and get 40mpg on top of being able to sneak up on MFers ().

Either way I go, lately I've been thinking it might be a good choice to try and splice in the donor car's front subrame - that way you get a cradle installed on the truck that will fit the modern engine, modern suspension, R&P steering, etc etc which would take care of many upgrades. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but when I see pics of an engine with 90% of the front suspension attached to it, it makes me think this is totally feasible.