78 Coil Springs HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by NavyMC, Jan 8, 2012.

1. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    I was hoping someone would respond to my other post but no luck. I am looking at replacing the springs in the front of my 78 and need to know if anyone out there has some gouge for replacement parts... Such as... How tall is the spring once removed? I know the outside DIA is aprx 4.5 inches. Are the Dodge D50 coils direct fit? Could someone send a pic with a tape measure next to it to determine height pluss how the spring is terminated at the ends...

Additionally, how about the coil over option? I have read coil over posts here but it all seems to center around lowering and if anything I want to restore the ride height, I know that is not what most people are doing out there. They headed in the other direction and get it as close to the ground as possible. I love the looks of those trucks, but this particular truck is to close to perfect stock to drop.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if there is a line on rear leafs it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

I am looking to restore the stock ride with new metal....

Thanks and CHEERS!

r/ bake
    Front Post.jpg

Engine Post 1.jpg

2. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Finally finished the job after many days of research! If anyone is interested in replacement stock springs, I uses MOOG-8576 coils and they fit perfectly. Restored the life under the front end and the stock ride height. I know, I know, everyone goes the other direction, I get it. If there are any questions about it just give a shout. I didn't put any pictures because there is nothing spectacular about restoring and maintaining stock rides!

OBTW: Stock Springs are 12.631 tall, ID 3.35, WD 0.6, OD 4.55 (granted, they are 30+ years old so the height might be a little off)

MOOG 8576: 4.69 tall, ID 3.59, WD .59, OD 4.69, SR 386, load 1200, IH 9.5.

Cheers!

Mr Burger and 1978elf like this.
  3. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    How is the ride? Are they stiffer/softer than the original springs? I want to raise my truck back to stock height (for a little while) and this sounds like the ticket. Thanks for the research.

4. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    The ride is certainly stiffer than the 30+ year old springs that were in there. I personally think the ride is perfect, stiff but not so stiff you feel the shadows on the road. I replaced all the ball joints and the steeling linkage joints while I was under there. The only thing left for me to do is replace the "pit" and idler arms. They do not feel worn at all. OBTW it didn't raise the ride but about 1/2 inch but the front of the truck doesn't feel like a "led sled" going over bumps!!!!! I also bought another spring rubber for the top of the spring where it goes up into the spring tower, placed it on top of the stock rubber because it fit better than by itself. I don't think it will matter in the long haul as there wasn't much left of the OEM dampners.... Good luck and if you do it let me know what you think!!!

Cheers!!!

5. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    This is the moog spring next to my stock spring with two coils cut out. Were the stock springs actually taller than the moog springs? And can you take a picture of your ride height? I'm going to put the springs in tomorrow and was wondering what the end result was... even though I'll know tomorrow.

Attached Files:

6. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    76Celica,
    Soory I have been out of country and didn't get back with you. i am sure by now you have completed the spring install??? How is it, I am curious because I am considering finding a spring that is a little taller in the installed height dimension to get more height. I am running a little bigger tire than stock and want it up just a little more off the tire. I have no issues with tire rub, but I want it stting a little higher than it is. I will post a pic in a minute...

7. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Pics of installed height

Keep in mind that I am running 215/70R15 tires on that thing so they are a little bigger than stock. OBTW, the MOOG springs that I listed by P/N were about the same height as stock springs once removed. MAYBE taller by a 1/4 of an inch... What springs did you get?

Attached Files:

8. 1978elf

1978elf Newbie

Thanks! this is very useful