76 hilux wont charge, new alt, voltage reg. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Uranium235, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    Ok guys, i really need some help here. My 76 hilux just randomly one night had the charge light come on. It would only be on at idle, when you revved it up it would go off. Progressively over the next few days, it worsened and stayed on eventually, and then got to a point where its not charging the battery at all. I take the truck to autozone, have them test the charge system. 5 out of 10 times it was tested, it failed for voltage reg. I replaced the voltage reg, still nothing. So I took the alternator off and had it tested at 2 different places, and it tested bad supposedly. I replaced the alternator, and still... it will not charge. Battery tested good, I checked all fuses, and it will not charge at all. Anyone out there have anything close to this happen to them?

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    How are you checking if its charging?

The charge light doesnt always mean anything, mine was on all the time and would randomly come and go and I checked the voltage at the battery so I knew it was charging.

3. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    Ive had a multimeter on it, and I am getting nothing to the battery. I've got power on the B+ terminal at the alternator but its not going to the battery for some reason. Alternator is literally brand new and so is the regulator. I have to jump it to start it, itll stay running once jumped, but any accessories like headlights or heater makes it stall out. If I unhook the battery the engine dies.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Stupid question, but are you sure everything is hooked up on the alternator? sounds like the big white wire has a break in it somewhere.

You could try running a 10gauge wire from the post on the alternator to the + battery terminal and see if that works.

5. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    Thanks @first80toyota, that was my next guess. i am going to run a jumper and see what happens. If it works then i know I need to dig into that wiring and figure out whats going on.

6. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    what was the problem?

7. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    Possibly the Signal wire to the alternator. (Smaller wire with blade connector) . Disconnect wire, ignition on, engine off, check voltage. It can be hooked up and spinning but it needs a signal to energize.