'66 Stout Started - Now Doesn't

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Cucciolo25, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cucciolo25

Cucciolo25 Newbie

Truck:
    1966 Lite Stout 1900
    I just picked up a 1966 Stout RK41. Got it home and wanted to start it up. Battery was good and it turned over just fine. With the help of a little starter fluid we finally got it running. It runs smoothly and everything was great. My sons wanted to start it again so we tried and again it turned over just fine but wouldn't start. I got the starter fluid again and it started to fire but didn't really start up. Tried the key again and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. Not even a click. The lights still work but there is nothing when you turn the key. Thoughts? It's dark now so I can't try hot-wiring the starter tonight. Once I can, I will. Obviously if that won't work then I've narrowed it to a starter problem (right?). But if it does work, what would I check next? Also, what is my best source for parts?

2. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Sounds like starter. Check relay is there is one, and clean up the contacts on the starter and ground. They get corroded easily and won't start. Also, try smacking it with a wrench or hammer. They can get jammed and not turn, but a shock can sometimes free them up enough to get some momentum.

3. salabim

salabim Newbie

I agree with skid. One of the first things to do on these old wiring systems is to go through and clean all the electrical connectors first so all are nice and shiny and clean. Do both ends of battery cables, engine ground to body and the fuse box. Then clean all the others you can find.
    Then with fuel/air , spark and compression it will fire right up.

Sk1dmark likes this.