6 lug third member?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Playinwithtoys, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    i have a 6 lug 90s model 4x toyota extra cab pickup sitting in my yard i wasnt to satisfied about the third member because its a 6 lug ,but i was just wondering what third member would that be ? And if so could it fit into a 5 lug axle ? Would the splines match up? The door jam info was scraped off by some idiot before me so i cant tell . I dont want to waste time pulling it out to see for myself if it wont fit into my 5 lug 8" housing .someone chime in here with info ?

2. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    4x4s had the 8'' rear axle and most the 5 lug 2wds has the 7.5''. I believe if your truck had the 4spd manual trans or was a 1 ton model, it had the 5 lug 8''.

From what I have been told and read online, the 4x4 3rds will bolt right up to the 2wd 8'' axle with no problems. There is an issue with the 2wd 8'' when you go to regear them and then you have to run a 4x4 3rd.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    4x4 will be 30 spline axles and an 8" 3rd member. G code 2x4 trucks have 3.07's in an 8" 3rd member with 30 spline axles. They are fully interchangeable. The only caveat is the 3.07 3rd member will only accept 3.07 gears due to the pinion offset built into the 3rd member.

If you have an 8" 2x4 axle the 4x4 3rd will drop right in with no drama. I've ran V6 and 4 cylinder 8" 4x4 3rd members many times in my G code axles.

4. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    Thanks guys .im gonna go down the hill behind my house and pull the third member out and check what ratio it is .i will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    if it's all original and nobody's pulled off the driveshaft yet, I believe Toyota used to mark the pinion flange with a dot of paint. The color of paint tells the code of the gear ratio. My 93 had this and I think white was 4.10 gears. There's a chart on the internet.

6. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    Thanks ,no paint tho . Im surrounded by ocean aha so everything here if its not protected by rhino lining or some kind of rust enamel itll be all salt water action . I took out the third member but didnt count the ring n pinion so i set it aside and cleaned it a bit . But i have a question , my 7.5 splines on my 91 2wheel will it fit in the 6lug 8" housing or will i have to find 5lug splines from an 8"?? And another question im not sure if i read correctly or read at all but will the 8" housing off a 4x mount on my 2x without any mods ??or will i have to cut n weld my purches or however you spell it .

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I don't think you'll be able to swap the diffs in your case, you'd have to swap the whole axle housing.

The 8" has 30 spline axles and the 7.5" has 27 spline axles inside. Not sure if you could even bolt an 8" diff on a 7.5" housing even if you swapped the axles too, or vice versa.

To know if your housing will swap, simply measure the spring perch width and compare. My guess is no mods needed as long as they're both from the same era of truck/same WMS width (wheel mount surface) since this number changed with every model and got wider as years progressed.

If you do need to modify anything, then yes it will be to reposition the spring perches. Something that is common even if you're lifting or lowering your ride, as pinion angle will need correction depending on how much of a change you made. Usually for extreme lift situations, I don't think I've seen 2wd do that when they slam the truck.

More info: http://www.4wdhub.com/axle/toyota.html

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Axle shaft lengths and spline counts are different as are 3rd member bolt patterns so no, none of the parts interchange. You'll need to find a G code 2x4 rear axle to use the 4x4 3rd member.

9. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    Ouch i think i confused myself there . Ok the axle on my 2x right now is a 7.5" i was asking if those splines would fit on a 8" 4x housing . I got my answer . My second answer or whatever is ,i have two 5 lug splines from a 8" housing will it fit on the 6 lug 8" housing ?

10. Playinwithtoys

Playinwithtoys Member

Truck:
    91 pickup
    I know the third member from a 8" wont fit in a 7.5" i guess the way i worded it confused us all . Sorry about that

11. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Ifs era 4x4 will have a 58.5" WMS. Depending on what year 5 lug 30 spline shafts you have they may fit a 4x4 housing but not the 90's 4x4 housing you have. You'd need to find a 79-95 4x4 housing which is 55.5" WMS. That WMS is the same as 89-95 2x4 G code if I remember right.

12. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    I never knew that about the 3.07 3rds. Glad to know that info. I have a G code 3.07 in my 89