6 lug 2wd front hubs?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Scomber, May 16, 2013.

1. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Pablo has a bad rear left bearing seal. I've got a line on a used half axle shaft, but it's likely to be 6-lug instead of five. That means I'd get two of them and Pablo would be 6-lug on both sides in back.

Ideally, I'd like everything to match, so I'm wondering how to change the front hubs to 6-lug as well. Then I'd get some 6-lug 16" wheels and switch to using 215/50R16 as my tire of choice, if available.

I'd like to just fix the seal, but it may be more than that. If the old half shaft is good, I could get the old bearing and seal pressed off and a new one pressed on, and that would fix it. But I'll need something temporary, and if the shaft is, say, slightly bent...

And the good news is that the same guy has a faster pumpkin to sell me, so this could be a positive thing. Then I'd have to get baby moon hubcaps.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I know it's common to use a Toyota spindle on Nissan and Mazda trucks. Maybe reverse that thinking and use their parts. Or have your rotors redrilled. Or try and use a 6 lug Nissan rotor or something.

3. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Hmmm. I could pull one off the parts truck when I go shopping, for comparison...

4. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

The hub on the nissan is interchangeable with the toyota they use the same bearings so you just need the rotor.that's what I've been told by a hardcore nissan hardbody guy I'd check part numbers at a parts store

5. Bronchogg

Bronchogg Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    The 2wd Nissan hubs use the same bearings as the 2wd Toyota's. You'll run in to a couple of obstacles though. The first is the spacing. The Toyota spindle is slightly longer (3/16 I think). When converting Nissans to 5 lug, you need to machine the hub so the bearing sits slightly inboard. I'm assuming that a spacer would be needed to "push" the bearing out so the bearings sit properly on the spindle.

The second setback is the actual rotors. While, theoretically, the hub could be swapped (I'm in the process of this at the moment), the discs cannot. Toyotas have 5 mounting bolts whereas the Nissan uses 6. They wont be interchangeable. You would have to swap the entire hub/rotor and work out the caliper mounting from there.