4x4 rear springs

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by aaron_sk, Jun 15, 2015.

1. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Is anyone here running 4x4 leafs on the back of their truck?

I know the Taco guys do it all the time for drop, and second-gen guys have the same springs 4x2 to 4x4, but I am having trouble finding anything other than anecdotal BS about the thirdgen trucks.

Does the pack lift, lower, stiffen, soften? Did you pull the third leaf or the overload or both?

2. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    check out White trash build thread. He did it.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yup, I'm happy with them too. At first I just pulled the 3rd leaf and used the 2x4 overload in its normal orientation. I had wicked hop so I spun the overload around running it long side forward and now all is well.

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/207169-post172.html

4. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Thanks man, that is exactly the info I was looking for!

How would you say the ride is vs. the 2wd? Did they settle down any further, or was 3/4" all the drop you got out of them? In those pics are you running 3" blocks? How tall are your rear tires?

My stock springs are hammered after 226K in a work truck, and the worse they get the worse my wheel hop/axle wrap problem gets. I've been running my air shocks at 40psi just because it was bugging me how little weight would make it sag.

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    3" block and 25.5" tall tires. The post after the one I linked has a before & after pic. The before was mono leaf with spun overload and they are real close to the same.

The springs haven't sagged much if any at all. I'm actually thinking about pulling them back apart to de-arch the back half of the packs.

6. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Ahh I see now that I read through the rest of your build thread, you got 3/4" drop vs. mono. I was thinking 3/4" drop vs. stock 2wd pack! :doah:

This is really good to know though. I have 1.5" blocks in mine now, and I am thinking if I do the 4wd pack with the third leaf removed I could pull the blocks, maintain my ride height and gain a little bit of carrying capacity which is exactly what I want to do.