4age into 79-83???

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dailydriven, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    Has anyone ever done a 4age swap into our trucks?? My boss has a 86 corolla with a turboed 4ag in it and that this is seriously ballsy... i figure a two wheel drive truck cant weigh that much... especially after removing some dead weight... i have heard turbo/supercharged/ NA built 4a's can get some serious power out of them.... does anyone have any info on the swap/ has anyone ever done it.... i can get the motor and trans no prob... so i would like to get all/any info i can:waytogo:

2. The Crowing

The Crowing Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup
    Meh I think if I were to do a 4ag I would do the 4agze, the supercharged version from the AW11 or even the 20v with open ITB's that would be cool. But the 4ag does convert over to carbs pretty easily so doing that on a red top and fabing some mounts would make it pretty easy of a swap. But I don't know how easy it is going to be to get the T50 trans to work, I thought I read somewhere once there was way to mount the 4ag to a W50, hmmmm...

3. WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Corolla minitruck
    Waste of time, 4AGE won't deal with the weight even with a turbo. Why bother going for a 1600 when there are much better bigger capacity options.

Callum

4. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    well before we start makeing blank clames how much does the truck accually weigh? and how much of that is removable, is it really all that much more then some A powered cars?

I wouldnt suggest useing the T50 tho with too much power, a W series swap would be the way to go and there are bell housing available for that conversion, I even have one although its not for sale.

There are plenty of options for how to make an A series make power, i can think of so many different possibilities i could never wright down here in one sitting.

a 200hp turbo 16v can easily make 200hp, and up to about 500 with more effort

a 7a block to get 1.8L could be an option with a 16v or 20v head put these together and made 220hp na. although that was the way upper end of what they can make na but of course with boost this just raises the possibilities

Or you could do the rare 9AG this one was never a factory motor but a collection of parts that just happen to work together with some minor machining to make a wapping 2.1L in its largest form.

keep in mind the A series are a lot lighter motors then the R series so it may be possible to get the truck down in weight very close to a corolla but there are plenty of possibilities of a A powered pickup

5. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    +1

200hp.

and then what about the torque?

at which RPM range? lol it's going to be different especially from a standstill

6. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    um this typo make it sounds kinda like Um duh....

7. WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY Member

Truck:
    i just don't see the point in handicapping yourself by dropping capacity before you even start, a 3S-GTE will cost you pretty similar $$$ and always come out ahead. There is a bit of work getting it to RWD form but not that different to a 4A, gearbox options are actually a little easier on the 3S. Engine weight difference is really not that much, you usually find people are trying to compare an NA engine with a turbo engine which is a waste of time. I tend to refer to bare engine weight, inlet manifolds and turbo etc are going to weigh pretty much the same whichever engine you go for so you are probably only talking 20 to 30kg weight difference.

Callum

8. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    a 200 hp should have its full power before 5krpm so 200ish ft/lbs, although they are a little ball-less at under 3k

9. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    so i wasnt really trying to go for a dragster truck... but more of a unique/ fun to drive truck that can get a little squirly when you get on it... and a daily driver as well... i just have a truck that i got for free and i really want to make it a fun truck that has some get up and go and can get sideways.... i would like to keep it a 4cyl motor but i am open to opinions... i can do w.e i need to to get it to fit right and what not just dont know what to put in

10. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    My first motor swap idea on my 82...

Just bolt in a 5m. Very low hassle, you have a six, and a tad more power.

Best of all it could be done cheeps. What more could you want...:shrug:

11. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    very true .... do you have a write up on it so i can take a look?

12. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    he'll have to "push" it more even to daily it. our max torque is around 3600RPM's (22r's similar?)

so even in a daily situation, would it even be worth it? lol just trying to provide a different POV in the situation, i like the guy;s reason to do a motor swap though.

13. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    well to put this into perspective, how much does that truck accually weigh? if its within about 20-30% of the heavist corollas, it should drive just like a corolla even with a stock motor. any car is sluggish with a 4ag at 2krpm thats why you learn how to drive the setup you have. its very missinformed to say a car will suck becouse it doent make enough power at a certin rpm. for example.
    diesel trucks rarely rev past 4k, yet there are pickups running 9s, with superswampers on on the other end of the scale formula 1 cars dont make more then 50ftlbs of torque untill 7krpm each group drives the car in the power band that they have at hand. just becouse he is useing a difrent rpm range with a 4ag then he would with a 22r doent make the truck any less driveable or slower.

I dont think i ever drove my rolla around at anything less then 3000-3500. but i wound it out to 9k on a regular basis. my supra with the 1uz ill drive it around on idle littlery so under 1k diffrent driving style for a diffrent powerband that is all...

persoanlly i would love to see a built na 4ag in a pick up, and see the driver zipping it though gears, it would be one of thoise things where the noise doent really seem to match the scene.

also replying to info ealer in this thread. There is no way in hell he can get a 3sgte or around the same price as a 4ag. The upper end price range for stock 4ags stop at 1k, for a ****ty example of a 3sgte you need to lay out atleast 2grand. and the 4ag comes rear drive. nothing special to do. the 3s does not, so its a lot more work getting a 3s to work in a rear drive configuration then it would be a 4ag. rear drive mounts dont exist, bellhousing doesnt really exist, 3s turbo is on backwords.

now dont get my wrong, a 3s in a truck would be bad ass, so its not a bad suggestion if the origonal question was worded for it, but this guy got a free truck, and a free motor. he could have it running with a 4a for less then 500 easy. it would cost him atleast 2000 more and he would have a motor that still wont work in the truck. if he went 3s

that comment sorta reminds me of people who see my 1uz swap and say "why didnt you put a 2jz in instead. my reply is always. "with what i spent if i went 2jz i would have no car and a crappy motor sitting on the ground and thats it. instead im driving my car." I have around 3k in my car now, i had about 2k spent buying the car and getting the 1uz working in it, for that 2k i could barly have bought a 2jz and i wouldnt have been able to get the chassis with in that budget.

14. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    ^^^So what your trying to say is..........................^^^ LOL. It comes down to this. Its your truck, your money and you know how much you have and want to spend. So i say do what you want to do and get this girl on the road. Hey all i know is if my motor blew up or somthing and someone was to give me a good motor for free and save me money then i say do it. Also that just gives me time to save up for what i really want down the road, but at least its running now instead of down the road sometime cause your weighting for stuff for the bigger engine, mounts, and so on and so on. Good luck on what ever you decide to do and cant wait to see this thing get done.:waytogo:

15. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    Dgerfan55 : Good reply.

16. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I thought it all out in my head. First, you have to swap to a w5X transmission. This is the reason why I put a Dub58 in mine to begin with. You could do this before you even get an engine.

Gotta re-route the clutch hardline a little.

Mounts are bolt in.

No mechanical fan, gotta use a front mounted pusher.

I forgot about which pan to use, sorry.

Power steering, depends if you have it or not.

Hi pressure fuel pump

Wiring harness, computer, and spiced in to work.

And little tidbits like re-routing your throttle cable and such.

17. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    So as for the 4a i can get.. its not free by anymeans.. but its cheap... I know some guys in corolla scene that have extra parts and ish laying around... and even so I was looking on a japanese engine inport site and a 4age was going for around 550 plus shipping... so I've been searching around and got what I want when my 20r finally blows between a 5m and a 4ag.... both seem like they would be a fun swap and may possibly catch some of the ricers off guard lol... but if mounts need to be made ill make them and any other fabbing I need to do ill get done (may not be pretty but o well)... I work for a maintenece and repair shop which gets really boring sometimes and I want to be able to come home and work on my truck and know not many other people are doing what I am .... so thanks for all the input guys as soon as my 20r blows its build up time!!!

18. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    remember to throw in another set of gears to match the 4A and it's transmission when you do swap.

19. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    Definately:waytogo:

20. WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY Member

Truck:
    The 3S-GTE was raised in the context of a turbo 4A, which would then bring you to comparable cost for motor as it is all custom bits. There is definitely work in getting a 3S-GTE to RWD but it is a fairly common swap with lots of info in NZ and Oz. The 3S has options for slightly modded factory bellhousings to work (or an RS200 6 speed presuming you can find one), the 4A to W box bellhousing is an aftermarket option only.

For a standard RWD 4A you are talking around 88kw at the flywheel, originally in a vehicle 25 to 30% lighter. Even then they weren't anywhere near being quick cars. If you go to a later 100kw motor you need to convert to RWD anyway, a 20V will add further complications. The factory 20V's were rated an optimistic 127kw or so, in a car once again a good 200kg lighter. Still not a rapid car.

Personally, I would be looking at a 5M (if you can get one at the right price) or play with your factory motor. If you are trying to do it cheap it generally doesn't work as there will always be surprises in any conversion.

Callum