4 link install

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by redman, Mar 29, 2015.

1. redman

redman Enthusiast

To all those who installed a standard triangulated 4 link, which of your bars are longer, top or bottom ? I emailed a company about one of there 4 links they sell and he made mention that the top bars should be longer to counter act the triangulation. I thought the bottom bars would be the longest ones. Now I'm confused.:duh:

Thanks

2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Not true. Uppers in general are about 2/3 the length of the lowers...alot of factors have to be considered when installing or setting up a 4 link..and counter the triangulation? Why does it need to counter it? Once installed the uppers should form a 90 degrees angle or as close to that as possible to help keep the axle centered....

3. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    When viewing the suspension from the side of the vehicle the lower mounts are USUALLY farther apart then the upper mounts. Keep in mind the 'viewed from the side' part is very important(bottom of picture). The only reason not to have the lowers longer is due to space considerations.

What I believe the company is trying to say is because the bars are angled they are can be longer than the lower bars.

[​IMG]

Here is a really crappy drawing to reflect what I'm trying to say, length A is the length of the mount points front to back and length B is the actual bar length. In this drawing the mount spacing is the same but the upper bars are longer than the lower bars.

The picture is an example of equal length bars with triangulation. The top part of the drawing is when looking down from above and the lower part is a side view.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    There are a ton of good sites online devoted to 4 link design theory.

5. redman

redman Enthusiast

Thanks men. I have done research on this and the upper bars are to be 2/3 the length of the lowers ( or there abouts, not set in stone ) as XS5875 stated. Several things factor into this, space being mine. Ghostwhite, thanks for the drawing. I didn't give that a thought when the bars are mounted on the same plane when viewed from the side the uppers would be longer. That must be what he was referring to. Just not sure about the counteracting thing.I may call him to get a better understanding of that.