29.4 mpg 22R 4 spd

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dOBER, May 18, 2011.

1. dOBER

dOBER Member

I like to top her off when i fill up, Note the miles on the odometer on the receipt, drive her til she'd empty - then top her off again. get a new receipt note the new miles on the odometer.

SAME gas station , same pump same octane.
    This week I managed to get 29.4mpg with 80% hwy driving 20% city stop n go.
    This fill up when i checked the oil i noticed that she's on the bottom level of the dipstick.
    I think this helps mpg even more as there is less oil for the crank to push through - just a theory.
    I'll add a quart or so til the next couple tanks, then I'll change her oil.

Set up is an Fed+Canada emissions 88 Pickup 4 spd 22R with 8" 3.07 3rd
    also has high altitude package.
    I'm aiming for 30mpg - things that I may try this tank to get there
    -warm up less than 10sec cold idle, drop down n idle less than 1 min - since I'm in CALI it doesn't get that cold.
    -this last tank I ran her up to 80 once just to show off to a friend that she CAN get up there, a few times I followed the suburbanites driving 70, but mostly i stayed in the 60mph range, THIS tank I'm gonna try pulsing/ hypermiling between 55-60.
    shutting her off @ stoplights (like they do in other countries)
    -Riding my bike for anything less than 10 mi commute w/o heavy loads.
    hopefully I can get to see an honest 30mpg in this truck I enjoy so much!

2. lowplz

lowplz Member

Truck:
    87 longbed
    good shizz but damn thats hella work

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Riding ur bike isnt gune help ur MPGs..

4. Midwest Hick

Midwest Hick Newbie

well i have the same issues. i have a 4spd 22r 1985 w/ 103,600 miles on it, and i get great gas mileage. im about to body lift w/ new tires just cuz i like the look, and new paint job. Do you stick with 87 octane or have u used 93 octane b4. do these old trucks enjoy 93 octane?

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    up your timing, more power less throttle less gas

i can get 30 mpg if i follow larger vehicles even if they are going 80, the wind is what kills my mpg.

i also got a 22r with a 32/36 weber, a w58 and the 3.07 rear end with 205/40/17's

oh and i keep mine full on oil, i wouldnt run it low on the stick, its not effecting your mpg. maybe the oil weight will but not the level. these trucks were designed for heavier oil so running thinner oil could cause a tick or smoke so attempt at your own risk

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    riding bikes for <=10mi means he doesn't need to use the truck. Less frequent fill ups.

I got a xcab running a 22RE with intake, exhaust, automatic, 3.41's, and 215/65/16's.

driving peppy and not readjusting for gears and tires, reading off unadjusted odometer, I get "23"mpg calculated.

7. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    cruising at 55 will be noticable , maybe up your tires psi a little, put it in neutral and roll up to the lights

8. dOBER

dOBER Member

29.7 on most recent fill up.
    things i changed were advance timing 8 degrees and now using only 89 octane gas.
    gonna try EOC technique as soon as i do my brakes.

Considering most gas out there is gasahol (10 ethanol) and the 3% loss in power, I WOULD technically already be in the 30mpg range, BUT, there's still so much to play with hydrogen electrolysis, leaning the fuel mixture and all that fun stuff

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. Tyson

Tyson Newbie

Truck:
    1986 regular cab regular box 22r 4spd 2wd
    I also have a 4 speed 22r. Though it's an 86' well north of 200k miles.

I am currently getting 24mpg with 40/50 city/hwy at 60 on the hwy.

I was wondering since I think my rear end is on it's way out if a different ratio on the rear end would make a big difference? I'm not sure how to check my current ratio. Could someone tell me how without counting the teeth on the gears?

10. dOBER

dOBER Member

If the complete truck is stock, just check on the VIN code under the hood on the firewall bulkhead. There should be a trans code. G662 i think is what you want interms of MPG.

Last fill up I got 31.6 mpg. This time i actually spep UP to 65 avg. mph.
    Doing a bit more EOC driving technique.

Price is still redonkulous for petrol, so I'm looking into converting to LPG with some leftover IMPCO parts.

11. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    hmm ive thought about putting a 4speed rear in my truck but, it probally be a dog with the automatic.

12. hohepa

hohepa Newbie

Truck:
    1984 single cab
    There's lots of big hills along my commute to work (50km) so I tend to clutch in ignition off down the hills, and bumpstart 4th when its time to accelerate again, can coast for over 1km in some parts if braked strategically. Its kinda fun. That and stay close to big trucks, get out of the wind.

13. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

They say the most important thing is to adjust the nut behind the wheel.

14. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Recently on a 264mile trip, I used 12 gallons. Roughly 22mpg. On 265's, in 5000FT+ elevation, in 20 degree weather.
    I spent 2.5 hrs idling as i slept, and a day's worth of slow driving in the slick, 1st through 3rd, around 30mph. Include some WOT trying to get out of snow.
    I went through at least an hour's worth of down grade driving, engine braking/ coasting in 3rd and 4th, and finishing the drive at an average of 70-80+.

15. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    4speed

I run a 4speed with a 4:11 rear end side drafts and a 292 web cam on my 87. Forget about mpg for me but a 5 speed swap out will make a nice difference.also a tach will help you focus on the mission..I plan on slapping one in soon i think all you need is the 5speeds mounting bracket because the 84-88s are shorter.

16. jjsjjsva

jjsjjsva Newbie

1986 22rec 5-speed and still get 25 mpg mixed, 32 mpg doing 60-65 mph, 29 mpg doing 70-75.