22re to 22rte

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Turbo86, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Turbo86

Turbo86 Newbie

Truck:
    86 single cab sr5
    I have a 86 sr5 whit a 22re my head gasket just blew up and I bin wanting to turbo my toyota, how hard. Will it be. To. Conver it to a 22rte. And to make 250 - 300 hp. And. Also. What' Caid. Of money I'm looking at. Thanks. All ur info will be. Great. Thanks :eek:

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Just replace your head gasket multi layer and get some arp head bolts and build a turbo kit around your 22re it will save u money compared to trying to find a 22ret and one that still has a turbo manifold or turbo for that mater proably slim to none . Constructing a turbo kit from scratch can easily get expensive

3. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    To make that kind of hp out of a 22re motor, you're probably going to spend more than an engine swap would cost you.

Even just going mild turbo on the motor is gonna set you back a couple grand (depending on how much work you do yourself), and that's before you add in the "get it to 250+ hp" mods.

On stock, you can run probably 5-6 psi of boost safely. So you need the turbo, the manifold (original 22rte or aftermarket), intake piping, intercooler (maybe the intercooler isn't necessary for this mild of a boost), and any other related turbo accessories to keep it from blowing up or degrading. I wouldn't expect anything beyond about 180hp for this kind of setup. Possibly not much past 150hp depending on the condition of your engine.

for 250+hp, you're going to be replacing or modifying a lot of parts. Dropping compression on the pistons, probably want to stroke the engine while you're at it, bore it, bigger valves, camshaft upgrade, stronger valve springs, larger injectors, might need a different ECU setup to handle the increased fuel delivery (this is outside my area of knowledge), better cooling, fuel pump, stronger timing chain (go double row), and that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. You're not getting away cheap if you insist on 250+ hp.

You might as well swap in a different engine that's designed to make that kind of horsepower. 1uz and 2jz are some popular swaps for Toyota pickups.

4. Turbo86

Turbo86 Newbie

Truck:
    86 single cab sr5
    Thanks. Guys. I do want to do the 2jz. Swap but seems. Really hard plus. Can't find one were I live. Is it hard.

5. 22RTE

22RTE Newbie

if i were you, i'd find a turbo 22RTE engine, then you need the engine harness and ECU, not too bad... ofcourse, don't forget the downpipe because without that, it'll be hard trying to make one... what ever did you end up doing?