22RE Supercharge or turbo?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Minordrop, May 13, 2017.

?

Supercharge or turbo?

1. Turbo

2. Supercharger

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Minordrop

Minordrop Newbie

Truck:
    91 Pickup
    Hey everyone I am new here but I am trying to decide what to do. I am thinking about adding boost to my truck and I am wondering how many of you have and what method has worked out to be most cost and meintenance effective? as well which seems to be most fuel efficient or efficient in general?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Neither. Most cost effective would be an engine swap. Look at the cost to build your 22re and compare the $ you'd spend to gain minimal HP.....then look at the stock HP numbers of something like a stock 3rz from a Tacoma....

the reason to keep a 22re is because of simplicity and because it works, just not the best platform if you're trying to go fast

LAYNLOW and jetas like this.
  3. Minordrop

Minordrop Newbie

Truck:
    91 Pickup
    I understand the aspect of engine swap being the most cost effective of all options but i am not looking to do so. I like the 22re and want to build one just because. so I am just trying to find out what people have experienced with either platform as far as maintenance needs and fuel efficiency.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I've got the 22rte, so it came with a turbo. I love it! My first truck was a 22re, and I was getting about 25mpg city and up to 30mpg highway, with my new truck with the turbo I get 20mpg city, and about 28mpg highway. That being said, in my new truck if I am hauling a load, those numbers don't change.
    Maintenance is in my experience minimum of working on the actual turbo itself. That being said, if you want to take the head off or anything, you have to remove the turbo and manifold and all coolant and oil feed and drain lines, so it takes a bit longer coming out and a lot longer going back in.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Well do more homework and decide. I've looked into it personally for my 93 4wd truck and it's just not worth the $ to me to invest in the 22re, it makes much more sense to swap it......but people DO upgrade their 22re, which is why the parts exist :) I used to own a 22ret truck - I only really noticed the benefit at higher RPMs like when on the highway, around town I'd say a naturally aspirated built 22re has it up until about 45mph, then the turbo'd truck would see benefit.....but that cost to go turbo on a non-turbo'd engine block....

There aren't a whole lot of options for building the 22re, most people do these and stop before forced induction: camshaft ($175), high-flow ported head ($350), exhaust headers ($450), bored cylinders/machine work ($500+) and fuel injectors ($200), dual timing kit ($400), etc.....so just in parts you're looking at over $2k + labor + time

For $1200 I can buy a complete running/driving/CA smoggable Lexus SC or LS with the 1uz, swap it and sell what I can off the donor car and hopefully come out even in the end.