22RE sounds like a subaru.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Dan McBoost, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    A few months back I picked up a 91 2WD pickup for the trans and engine to swap into my 78.

it was pretty parted of body parts, but had the driveline and electronics. It did not run when I bought it.

Upon inspection, the timing chain was broken. It was parked on a hill, rolled down into a tractor, cracking the valve cover and pieces fell into the chain, popping it at the bottom.

I pulled the oil pain, timing cover and all parts to clean up oil pan and replace the chain. All of the valve lash looks good, so I think the valves are not bent.

Once the timing chain was on it started right up, but was not as smooth as expected. So I looked up the timing mark on the cam sprocket and I may have been on the wrong side of the mark. So it was moved over one tooth (so the mark is just to the left of the arrow), and it seemed to run more rough and now sounds like a subaru.

Stuff I replaced as an attempt to fix this:
    New Distributor
    New Cap
    New Rotor
    New Plugs
    New Wires

Any idea on what I should try next?

TIA from a long time toyota owner,
    Dan

2. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    misfiring??

might have a bad valve- especially if chain was snapped. u dont know if the piston smacked the valve?

u can "look" at valve lash, but did u MEASURE it?

3. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    It is not misfiring. Yes, we measured valve lash.

Next up is trying a known good ECU (this one could have got wet), then compression test.