22R to 22R

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SlammedCustomCab, Jan 4, 2016.

1. SlammedCustomCab

SlammedCustomCab Newbie

Hey everyone, I've got a question for ya. I have a 1980 pickup with an early model 22r swapped in. I've been thinking about picking up a late model 22r to swap in. Not because I think it's any better, just because I have found that finding parts (such as a new head) have been a real PITA. Nobody seems to carry anything for the early models.

My question is, will a late model 22r swap right in?

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yes it's a bolt in operation but there are a couple of slight differences you'll need to note.

The intake manifold has a different passage pattern so you'll need a later model 22r intake. The manifold/header will bolt up but the early stuff used a single stud on the lower row between cylinders 2 and 3 while the later is dual. No big deal since the head is likely drilled and tapped for a single stud.

The motor mount piece that bolt to the block could also be different depending on if the early engine had an air pump or ac etc. Not a big deal if you don't mind stacking washers to take up the unused space or if you simply get the stock mounts for the later engine.

3. SlammedCustomCab

SlammedCustomCab Newbie

Thanks, I was thinking about trying to find a complete 22r so I wouldn't even have to worry about swapping parts from my old 22r and putting them on the newer. Maybe even find a used truck for cheap and gutting her to put the parts into mine.