22r swap to a 1978

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Raymond Pyle, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Raymond Pyle

Raymond Pyle Newbie

Thank you for adding me. I am an old hotrod guy who has fallen for a 1978 Toyota Hilux as my newest shop truck. This truck has a 20r but came with a 1986 or so 22r, do they interchange? Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    The 20r is the predecessor to the 22r, so generally speaking - yes they kinda interchange since the block is basically the same.

A "hybrid 20/22r" is a common build using mixed parts off both engines. You should be able to find plenty of info on this online.

I've heard good things about it, it's quite popular -- but I'm also understanding that due to the specifics of which year's 22r mix/match parts you need, a simply upgraded late year 22r puts out similar power (or more) with less complication and customization. In my opinion Toyota would have done something like the hybrid if their engineers though it was better, but they didn't.

I'd love to have more power in my truck, but my gut says that if I'm going to go through the trouble of that type of build I may as well go big and just swap it for a more modern drivetrain since I've got a 1975 pre-smog -- such as a Tacoma's 2rz/3rz, a 3sge BEAMS 4cyl, heck even a Lexus 1uz. Might even just see about swapping out the whole front suspension too if I'm gonna have to modify things to fit a new heart....and the list continues. My latest daydream is that I'd simply pickup a beat up Lexus SC400 for about $1000 and try to adapt the entire front suspension/engine cradle to my Hilux frame - that way I get the 1uz, bigger brakes, power steering, etc. A lot of work though, but damn it would be sweet.

3. justaguy

justaguy Member

Truck:
    75 hilux, 84 xtra cab, 86 1 ton, 87 xtra cab 4x4
    They do interchange. A few things to note;
    You must use the 22r intake manifold.
    20r and 22r exhaust manifolds work on all 20/22r, but the 22r manifold flows better (4 to 2 to 1 vs 4 into 1)
    Your 78 should have an electric fuel pump in the tank. You will need to remove the mechanical pump from the 22r head and make a block off plate.
    Your current clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate will work with the newer motor.
    The 20r uses an external voltage regulator for the alternator. The 22r alternator is internally regulated. You will need wire around the external regulator if you use the 22r alt. If you don't, out will cause issues (ask how i know!):duh:
    Your radiator hoses will work, but will be slightly twisted/pinched.
    The 20r engine mounts will work.

That's about all i can remember, it's been a few years since i did my swap.

Hope this helps.

4. BDUB

BDUB Newbie

Truck:
    1976 SR-5 Longbed
    Just to add a little: The 1986 22r block you have is going to require extra machine work and maybe some other things to make a 20r/22r hybrid work, if that is what you end up doing. Anything after July of 1984, or something like that, has a taller deck height than the 22r blocks from 1980-1984. I wonder if the issues that were mentioned by justaguy would be solved if you swapped in a whole 22r that was pre '84??