22R Head Crossover cover plate in rear ????

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 22R88, Jan 28, 2016.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Ok so I thought my rear main seal was leaking cause I had oil dripping down round the transmission housing. I needed a new clutch anyway. Got trans out and no real seal leak but the rear crossover plate is oily wet and dripping slightly..... Internet research on this plate is a mystery. Some say there is no way oil can leak from there it is a egr cooler and others say that the threads go into the head and oil can go down the bolt threads and leak. Others say that the middle back has a oil passage that can leak. I have ordered a new gasket for it and will pull it and seal the threads. anybody here know conclusively about this mystical plate...I also wonder if the head gasket could be leaking although it ran fine

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Do a compression check to determine if u have a head gasket leak. R u burning coolant? I dnt know much about the plate, but u can use ultra grey sealent to seal it also..

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    have you checked the rear half-moon seal on the valve cover? they like to leak from these half-moon gaskets since it's a separate part from the main valve cover seal. just found out last week that LCE sells aluminum half-moon seals.

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thanks for the replies
    Coolant is slap full and Toyota red and oil is golden I don't think there is a problem. Truck purrs
    I actually pulled the VC first a few months back and resealed the moons and they are dry.
    It is coming from the plate. I will pull it and see.
    Also putting in new rear main seal and trans input seal while there.
    thanks again

5. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thanks so much for the replies guys. I removed the plate and the passages was black but clear and the water jacket was spotless aluminum. Not a sign of oil anywhere I even looked at the bolt threads and was stumped. I took my powerful flashlight a looked up good at the area and lo and behold from the direct center bottom of the half moon which was blocked from view with the plate on was a small seep of oil.... Yipee !! I just need to reseal the half moon and get the new clutch in and crossover back on( gasket came off clean on the plate) and all back together.....Oh what a feeling !
    Thanks again,

22R88

6. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Glad to read u got if figured out.

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
  8. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thanks again Guys. It is amazing what knowledge does for you. Before I had it apart all the reading on the subject was very conflicted about if you can leak oil there or not. I am now firmly in the camp that if you are leaking oil from that plate you have a lot more to worry about than a oil leak...unless the bolt threads through to the inside of the head as I read but barring that.. no way should oil be there.

9. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    **UPDATE to maybe help someone else****So we got the transmission back in the truck all together. Start it up ( did the Ford solenoid mod too while down ) and fired it up. Let it warm up a while and noticed a coolant leak tracked it to the EGR crossover plate. I had replaced the gasket but didn't get down too hard since the threads are aluminum. Tighten top bolt drivers side and left most bolt and coolant leak stopped. Clutch feels great, no noises clutch is even easier to push seems like. Take it for a spin when I get up the next am I see a few drops of oil under the trans. looking up at the oil pan it seems to be coming from each corner of the area where the rear main seal housing is, I can see the pan is dry . I think damm either the RMS or the housing gasket (all new along with a LC engineering shaft wear ring for the slight groove) ) is leaking.... wow thoughts of taking trans back out...depressing. Sleep on it and think and read Yotatech and Toyotaminis. Go clean engine good with scrubbing bubbles and wait till dry. I laid under on ramps and watch. I also pulled the starter and noticed the ring gear was dry (good sign) I then started the truck with starter out (push start) go back on ramps and I notice a drip of oil coming off the bottom driver's side bolt( dripping on bracket that holds pipe below) of the EGR crossover plate. I think just the other day I was firmly in the "it can't leak oil there camp" but I see it leaking pretty sweet crude(castrol GTX anyway). So I let it cool down and by miracle me and my brother are able to hyper extend and reach all the bolts and re tighten them. Start back up and watch no leaks !! Yipee ! took for a spin and let it sit overnight just went check it and other than a little residual ( I think ) in the crack between the block and trans no drops on concrete so I think we are good. So I guess whoever said that the EGR bolt hole threads in the head tie into the oil passages knew what they were talking bout. Can I tell ya I hate a oil leak. BTW I have cranked it probably a dozen times since starter mod and it has yet to "click" Always cranks !! Oh what a feeling Toyota !!! Thanks Yotatech and Toyotaminis for the assisitance.

22R88

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    jetas likes this.