20R versus 22R

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by toy_boy, Feb 4, 2009.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Pre-1984.

What do you guys think, feel, have heard, and know?

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    20R doesnt give good power, 22R gave a bit more.

More after market for the 22R, 22RE..

umm i have a modded 20R/22R motor, but no coments on this as i still am workin on it in a since..

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    ive had both, modded both. couldnt tell a difference.

the 20r head flows better then the 22r

the 22r is .2ltrs bigger

both have mostly equal aftermarket support as most stuff works for both.

it is easier to find 22r intakes then 20r's, but i think the 20r responds better to upgrades.

kinda a toss up in my book.

4. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    I've had both and I can't tell to much of a difference between the two of them.

5. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    "There's no replacement for displacement"

I'll be on the hybrid bandwagon by the summer time... Early 22R bottom end (longerblock/domed pistons) with the biggest slug I can safely install and a gently massaged 20R topend...

6. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    ShoNuff,

On your wheeler/22r I noticed you're using the Off intake and DT Tri-y.

I'm just curious which upgrades are probably better left alone on a 22r - where maybe a 20r you can go all out because the response is better?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    ya got me on that one, all my upgrades have been bolt on intake/exhaust. im just starting to learn the insides. and all my "performance figures" are based off butt dyno 2008™ and in different vehicles, so its not very scientific. just feels like the 20r likes the upgrades better, but they both like em.

i would call up www.engnbldr.com and see what they have to say.

i know, i know, the site doesnt say much about the 20r, but they do support it.

8. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    20R head flows better .. as mentioned above a 20R head is a direct swap to the 22r up to /84 only . you will have to use the 20intake . This simple swap will increase compression 1.0 . make sure the 20r has the power steering bosses , and manual fuel pump opening .. most of the cars 20r's didnt have these , 4x4's did .

I have done a few .. 1 I did the "hi-brid" work to (~4G) was running @ 150RWHP , some parts included bored/machiened 22r block , flat tops , shot piened and deburred rods , double row chain , 20R head , cam , header , webber with duel maccunni's , K & N' s ... it was a good strong engine , but expencive .

9. TRfknD

TRfknD Veteran

Truck:
    96 Taco / 05 Tundra
    Yup, upgrading parts on Toyota's can be expensive. Unless you are willing to do some "BACKYARD ENGINEERING", working on your own motor, will
    save you alot of money.

Lc Engineering has great products and I've had nothing but good experiences with their products. Both with the 22r and 2rz performance
    parts. But, you have to be willing to dish out the mullah!!! $$$=HP:cool:

SHOOTZ

10. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    bringing an old one back up.

ive had one of each. 20R carbed and a 22RE. the 20R ive done more to, but the other wasnt totally stock. i like the little one more, but only because it has more done to it. neither had cams or internal work. but, i think the slightly longer stroke will help more on the bottom end than it will hurt on the top end. one cheap trick is using the late model 22RE rocker arm setup. aluminum rockers vs the older cast iron. taking away weight of moving parts helps with throttle responce. i have a rebuild head im putting on my 20R this week, so we will see if that makes it run any better/stronger. id like to throw an early block in for now to see the difference at that point. they are peppy, but are pretty tame stock.

but they last forever.

11. jimbyjimb

jimbyjimb Newbie

Truck:
    1976 SR5 Pickup
    I've had my 76 SR5 Pickup since April, and I must say the first thing that impressed me was the fact that all stock it can actually burnout. My dad is the beater truck master, I'm new to the game. I've driven two late 70's Luvs he owned and a Courier, and my little red barn beater can run circles around any of those, get better mileage and is generally tougher. Even though the 20R is only rated for 90hp in my truck it sure feels a lot more stout. It'll cruise just fine at 75mph (I live at sea level). I'm looking forward to playing around more with it. Bottom line, as a newcomer to Toyota with limited brand-x of similar year experience I am nothing but impressed with the power of the 20R. I'd imagine some of the later 22R 2wd trucks are even peppier. I also like the toughness of the build on these little motors, and the low compression. I'd rather play with one of these over another Chevy small block any day.

12. Salty

Salty Enthusiast

lookin to buy a 79 20r this weekend... thought i bring this thread up to see if theres any newer information floating around the interwebs regarding 20r vs 22r.

any good links for 20r/22r hybrids?

13. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    They are pretty simple to build. If you need anything to know, just ask.

And my truck in my sig's link is a 22R hybrid/.

14. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    20r revs higher due to less recipricating mass combined with better flow and a more aggressive cam can mean alot more power than the 22r is possible but there is no replacement for displacement hence hybrid 20r/22r that you see

15. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    There are 2 threads here on this site to build a hybrid with all the info you need to know depending if the block you use is laser or non laser.

16. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    there is no difference in stroke between 20r and 22r only bore my first hybrid had a 20r crank and rods[better metal ive been told] in a stock 22r block my 22r valve train bolted right up to 20r head with a 22re cam [i think the block came from my 83 celica 22re also] did 2nd gear idle doughnuts with all the torque it made and pissed of many of "hotrod" mustangs:nana:

jetas likes this.