20r timing

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by stampy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. stampy

stampy Member

What is the timing supposed to be at on a 20r? Ive read that with both vacuum hoses removed and connected together its supposed to be at 8 deg then other places say 0 deg which one is it or is it none of them?

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i've always heard 8 degrees advanced on pretty much every motor.

3. stampy

stampy Member

ill try 8deg and take it for a spin tomorrow, hey whats with the 2 vacuum hoses coming off the distributer? i know one is the vacuum advance but whats with the one closest to the firewall? i see alot of people have it plugged.

4. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    I have always set my timing at 28-30 degress total advance at 2000-2500 RPM. You need a total advance type timing light (Sears) to set it though. The two hoses on the distributor are one for normal vacuum advance and the second hose comes off of the emission system to give you better idle, that is the one that is usually disconnected and capped. When the engine is a stock factory type initial timing is 5-10 degrees advance. Hope this info helps.

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    when setting the timing you unhook the vac lines so the carb doesnt advance the timing when setting a base time.

you also want to plug both lines from the carb

then set it to 5-10 adv like suncomb1 said.

then when you reconnect the vac lines and when needed the total advance will get up to 28-30 total advance.

i would also experiement with more initial advance until you hear pinging, usually around 10-12. does make a bit of a difference.

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    exactly. my dad always says to put as much timing as you can into a motor until: you ping up a hill or floored in a high gear OR it puts too much pressure against the starter and it has trouble turning over. we do use a timing light, but those tricks usually work good. i think my truck is running about 12-13 and only pings a little if i try to pull a hill in 4th. i mean steep hills. but mine isnt totally stock.