20r head different???

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dailydragger, May 10, 2009.

1. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

ok so i have a 79 toyota pickup with a factory electric fuel pump, on a 20r

so i got a 20r new motor with a mechanical fuel pump, and i noticed the heads where different??? is this electric fuel pump head worth any thing$$$

(ele pump head)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(man pump head)

[​IMG]

2. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    not really .. if anything they are worth less ..

most of the 20r heads with electric pumps didnt have the p/s bosses .

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    didn't you say it was a mohave edition truck? maybe member suncomb1 could tell you since he has one as well.

4. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

yep its a Mojave edition.

5. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    The 20R head with factory electric pump is not worth anymore or less than a 20R Mechanical pump head in general unless a collector is restoring a Mojave Edition and wants to keep things original. The 20R head is a better head than a 22R because it breathes better. I run an L. C. Engineering prepared 20R mechanical pump head because the intake / exhaust ports are of a more open design and there is more material to work with around the valve area. It is a 4 cylinder hemi head.

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    i just got a rebuild mechanical pump head from a guy for a good deal. i have an electric pump head in the truck now with crap valve guides. but i have a 77 non egr intake i have done alot of porting and work to. i havent test fitted it yet, but will the intake i have fit the new head and allow me to run a block off plate? ive seen stock block offs on cars at the junkyard. so ill snag one of those. and did the egr and center water port between #2 and #3 ever have factory block offs? or should i make new ones? (ones i made are too thin and warped a little)

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    looking at the pictures i think i can, but i want to hear it from somebody that knows. because if i dont have to port a new intake id be really happy. plus a non egr intake was a sweet find.

unless somebody has an aftermarket weiland or something to trade :D

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    woot. i just measured, and redid it numerous times. the new head has the 22R sized exhaust valves. 36.5 vs 35mm. intake is stock sized though. 43 vs 44.5. sweet bonus though.

alright, how the hell do i get those little exhaust straws out? id prefer not to leave a bunch of shavings everywhere. theyre 1/4 inside, so i thought about running a bolt in there and getting it out. i dont care about filling the hole as much as just removing the little tubes. theyre sort of a major blockage.

i also want to take the intake valves out and port the runners a little. maybe gasket match it. how do i go about removing that top clip without breaking it. i havent torn one of these heads apart, and all that stuff is new so i dont want to mess it up.