20R Draw Through?

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by TheClark904, Nov 6, 2016.

1. TheClark904

TheClark904 Newbie

This is my first post and will not be my last as I have question upon question about my 20R motor.

I bought a 1968 Opel Kadett Delux Wagon and it sits on a 1971 Toyota truck frame with a (not sure what gen) 20R that has a Weber 32/36 carb (which seems really popular), straight pipes, all mated to a 5 speed of I don't have a clue what make. I got it running in less than 5 days and didn't spend more than 60 bucks.

My main question is if a draw through turbo setup is possible using what I already have in terms of the carb I already have? Would I need to retard timing or anything? I feel like cams and forged pistons aren't going to be needed as I'm not planning on running more than 8lbs of boost on it and plan on getting a waste gate, oil cooler, and setting up water methanol injection set up. I want to try to keep everything as cool as possible without getting stuff cluttered. I really like the motor but feel that it has just a tad bit more capability. I'm not trying to burn rubber or anything just looking for 120 or 130 hp and an increase in fuel economy.

Then there's all the little questions like what kind of oil everyone likes and coolant and what not. I have a buddy that has a 22R and we pretty much help eachother out with ideas and opinions and what have you. But I would love to hear from other people.

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If your only ting for 120ish hp, no need to turbo. Get a spare head and start porting it, bigger valves (engnbldr oversized 22r valves are the absolute biggest to fit on a stock 20r valve seat.) And have it shaved to accomplish about 10 to 10.5:1 compression. Match that with a good cam and a bigger carb like weber 38/38 or holly 350 2bbl, a header and 2 1/4 exhaust and you'll be just fine.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Have to agree, would be alot eaiser to,go N/A thanen to turbo it. If anything call PCEngineering in AZ, they can deffently help.