1uzfe swap need help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Turbo Blow Through, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Well I think its time to do my 1uz, I've been busy at work and put aside enough cash to do it.

Here is where y'all come in. I need a built proof list of adapters, mounts, harness, and anything else I may have mis-listed or left out.

From my understanding a sc400 is a direct swap. Is there anything else i should know or be on the lookout for?

2. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I made my own mounts but a couple of my friends bought these.

1 UZ to Toytoa Truck Swap Mounts | eBay

After massaging a couple of the holes that bolt to the block, it worked great. You use the 22re rubber mounts with these. He lists them for $125 but a friend bought a set for $90.
    Sc400 has the exhaust manifolds and oilpan needed and the LS400 has the rad fan bracket needed (the sc400 fan bracket is acually a hydraulic pump that drives a hydraulic rad fan).

Definately buy the w58 adapter from ToyotaV8.com. The auto is boring and saps atleast 25hp.
    I had to remove the ebrake pulley assembly from my firewall to clear the driverside head but when my friend install the 1uz in his 79 toy truck with the ebay mounts, it cleared fine.

Most 1uz tuners suggest 2 1/4" exhaust for best low end torque. I chose 2.5"

I had to massage my brake booster to clear the valve cover but I think removing that stupid 1" aluminum spacer between the booster and firewall will help. Ofcourse you will ned to shorten the pushrod accordingly.

I buy the cheap 1uz full gasket kits of ebay all the time with no problems. Do yourself a favor and change all the gaskets ( headgasket is rarely a problem so I wouldn't bother) while the motor is out. Take the starter to a rebuild shop (do it yourself if you can). It's quick and cheap to replace the contacts.

Don't be afraid of high mileage motors. Pop the valvecovers off and check for sludge (rare). If you pull the motor from a junkyard and he car shows no sign of damage, chances are the ecu was bad. It's ok to grab the motor but dont bother with the ecu. Grab the ecu from a crashed car.

Best motors are 89-94. Bigger rods and the simplest to wire. No worries about immobilser crap.

ECU compatabilty:
    sc400 - 91 to 96 sc400 ecu will run all sc400 motors but the 91-93 sc 1uz has a cold start injector and the 94- 96 has no cold start injector (just a fuel enrichment map). The early ecu will run the later motor fine but cold starts in cold weather takes a couple tries.

LS400 - 89-92 ecu, 93-94 ecu. The 93-94 are not interchangable with the earlier.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  3. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I had to use a oilfilter relocation kit because the oil filter hit the steering box mount on the frame. Same friend with the 79 1uz swap just found a shorter oil filter and it cleared fine.

Used the ls400 throttle cable.

Used a mk2 MR2 radiator with radiator hose reducers from DAYCO.

Used a 6PK1600 serpentine belt to eliminate the ac compressor. I chose to keep the 1uz power steering pump and added powersteer steering box to my truck. There has yet to be found a cheap, easy and reliable powersteering pump delete. It is cheaper for me to just add powersteering.

4. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Nice Yotarip, great information.

5. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

No problem. I'm sure I forgot some things.

Both the ls400 and the sc400 engines are the same. The key to the swap is the sc400 exhaust mainfold and and oilpan.

Like I said. Don't shy away from the high mileage motors. I helped a friend pull a greasy, grimy 200K+ 1uz from a wrecked ls400. We cleaned it up and threw on new gaskets and timing kit. The motor runs so quite and clean, people are surprised that it has over 200K.

The motor in my truck has over 200k and it runs just as clean. The motor is a 96 LS400 1uz with 91 ls400 harness and ecu.

7. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Thanks yotarip
    That's the kind of healthy list I was looking for

Also I plan on putting boost on this motor as well haven't decided if I'm going twins or big single but there will definitely be boost thanks again and if there's anything else just post it I'll read it and reply

Also do u know which heads do and do not cross over from other UZ motors?

8. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

All non-vvti 1uz heads interchange. There's no performance advantage in swapping these heads since they are all the same.

The vvti heads are the best flowing but I believe some machine work is needed to the non vvit blocks to supply oil to the cam gear. You will also have to use the vvti intake manifold as it's bolt pattern is specific to the vvti head. Then theres the e-throttle and many other no compatible electronic issues that will kill your motivation.

A guy on lextreme put non vvti 4.0 1uz heads on a 5.7 (tundra) iron block and ran it with the early ls400 ecu. He got it running but I don't know if it was worth the effort in NA form. Now boost would be a differnt story.

There's no cost effective head swap on these. The best/easiest/cost effective power boost is forced induction. People run 5-6 psi on factory ecu with no problem. I think it would be a blast with a w58 in a light truck.

9. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Well that's what I needed to know, effectiveness but cost effectiveness.

Didn't want to waist time and money on things that would be pointless

10. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Well it has been a while since I've posted on here but I wanted to catch up on the status of my truck.

The truck is now freshly painted and completely different. The motor is now fully built with LCE's stroker kit and on a lot of boost currently I'm running 20 pounds of boost on a daily basis with a 60mm turbo and have pushed as high as 30. Engine bay is shaved and harness is tucked. Bed is bed lined with epoxy spray in liner and battery relocated to the bed in a battery box. Paint is tuxedo black that we then took and ****tailed with extra pearls and metal flake. Interior is complete as well with custom dashboard, ac vents, ac control face, leather steering wheel, Headliner, And Trim Panels. Bed lined floor boards and interior sheet metal of cab. Black race seats on custom brackets with nitrous bottle mount between seats as part of the seat bracket.

New year means new list of mods so for this new year I have bought an sc400 for parts so now comes 1uzfe V8 with W58 and twin turbo setup to top off the power the rear will be cut and fitted for IRS and custom back half and custom front clip to finish the suspension off my plan is to become a super truck and hopefully get speed hunters attention and win me some car and truck shows but mainly be able to enjoy my truck on a whole new level.

11. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Pics or it didnt happen.

12. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

+1,
    You can't drop a bomb like that and not show pics!

13. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    here are a few to start ill get the others uploaded soon
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Your truck is beautiful man. I like the xxr's in the second pic. Any more?

15. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    thanks yotarip,here are some others off my instagram
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. 1uz_yoda

1uz_yoda Member

Truck:
    1980 long bed
    The build looks great! Keep it up

17. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Damn she looks good. This is one of my favorite trucks here.

18. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    yet no flipping pictures :applause:

19. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Ok it's time for wiring and I can't find good wiring information let's hear what you guys have for info

20. 87_minitruck

87_minitruck Newbie

I’m stuck on the same issue I know this post is old but if you were able to figure it out and want to share some info send it my way! Currently have my 87 with no motor in it I have the 1999 gs400 1uz ready to be put in only problem I’m running into is the wiring harness. I have a complete wiring harness to the 1uz just don’t know where to start to make it a stand alone. Also I have an auto trans right now so I need to figure out how to wire it all up. I’m doing everything yotarip is Doing (leaving stock rear end for now, motor mounts which I’ve heard sc400 or ls400 mounts work, rear oil sump pan for clearance) just now need wiring