1UZ swap Into a RN41R

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 81SportTruck, Apr 11, 2014.

1. 81SportTruck

81SportTruck Newbie

Truck:
    RN41R-MSQ -- 81 Hilux, 2x4
    Looking for a little bit of info on MAJOR obstacles in the way of getting this swap done. I read last night about a guy on the Gold Coast that has successfully done it but am unable to contact him directly.

It looks to me like the only MAJOR issue he can into was the sump... Had to fabricate one so work around the steering gear.

Mounts and there like are a given and i can plan for them easily enough. It is the sneaky issues that i don't want to crop up.

Anyone out there done this conversion or have some info on it??

Anything would be appreciated.

2. 81SportTruck

81SportTruck Newbie

Truck:
    There WAS a HEAP of info on doing this exact conversion one a bunch of different websites from about 5 years ago....... not much good to me now as all those links are dead and the pictures deleted...

Just in case i get told to "search"....

Current donk is an 18R.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. wtsane

wtsane Member

Truck:
    1980 SR-5 4x2
    The more I am looking at it, the more i am thinking of adding a turbo to my 22R, with the 3.07 rear. Okay, not as sexy or as trick (or as powerful), but it should hustle quite nicely, there is less work I think. Lazy mans answer.

4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

You must use the exhaust manifolds from the SC400 (Soarer) as they are the only manifolds that will clear the upper control arms. You will also have better luck clearing the steering gear with the sc400 sump as its a rear (mid) sump. Worked for me.

5. 81SportTruck

81SportTruck Newbie

Truck:
    Hope that works out for you. :waytogo:

Hey dude,

Nice looking truck, looks to be a later model hilux to the one i am dealing with though. Maybe that info will still be ok for me?? :shrug:

Things might be changing. A good friend of mine has a 3UZ FE that he is looking to pass on to someone and has offered me a decent deal. 0.3L bigger but, as it goes and from what i can read, light years better engine.

I have to work out what i have and what i have to work with and from there... make a choice.

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I have a frind in the middle of a 1uz swap into a 80-81 toy truck and the same setup is needed.

The 3uz is a nice option. Keep in mind that the wiring will be much more involved. You will need the original ignition key, key reader and transponder to satisfy the immobilzer built into the ecu.

7. 81SportTruck

81SportTruck Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks for the heads up :)