1UZ 1990

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 90DailyDriven, Mar 2, 2015.

1. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Either lift the engine or the front cross member. Its safer to take the engine out at the junk yard, I wasnt going to try to unbolt anything while i was under it.
    The upper oil pan has to be swapped to change it from the front sump to rear sump. There is no way you can fit even the smaller lower oil pan through the bottom of the car.

2. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Ahh... Good knowledge.

3. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Febuary 20th 2016. Truck started for the 1st time!

Idler pulley needs to be changed. Truck does idle by itself after the intake and IAC valve were connected. It got dark right after it idled so didnt get a video of that yet.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    SICK!

90DailyDriven likes this.
  5. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Hahaha! That shit gave me the chills. Awesome buddy.

I was out and about in my 90 today too. I had to buy a new dryer as mine gave out this morning.

90DailyDriven likes this.
  6. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    I didnt plan on doing anything to my truck today. I was working on an immobilizer key for my camry when my cousin came over to see what i was doing. From there we just started going from plug to plug checking for 12v and grounds.
    Once we figured out the igniters werent sending signal to the injectors. It was a piece of cake from there.

7. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
  8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Put in about 10 hours today. Weather was nice. Redid the entire wiring from ecu to relays and fuses.

Clutch and pressure plate bolted up to my rusty flywheel.
    Unfortunately i might have to cut into my floor about 1 1/2 in.
    Or swap the shifter housings with another trans i just picked up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I just cut back my floor. It looks like we have the same shifter stick too. If you're worried about the reach of the stick, I reach it just fine. Hell it actually feels really good. I guess with it moved back, it compensates for being shorter. I was lucky enough to even have the original Celly-Supra shift knob in near perfect condition.

10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

CONGRATS on getting her started! I know it felt good. If you look in my build thread I found an s-pipe that helped the exhaust from the manifolds clear the torsion bars and crossmember like they were factory.

What clutch are you using? I am running a cheap ebay stage 2 clutch (F1) for a 3.0 4runner. It's just showing signs of sipping in 3rd gear. I'm going with a southbend stage 3 MR2 clutch when I do my next swap in the truck.

11. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Thanks! It was a great feeling. Its been almost a year since my truck has been down. Im taking it to a shop down the street to make my exhaust when its done. Hopefully they do a good job.

OEM 4runner clutch disc
    OEM turbo mr2 pressure plate
    what do you have planned for your next swap? VVTI?

12. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Yep, 4.0 vvti. I'm gonna help a friend swap one into a friends 94 Toyota mini first. He finally has everything for the swap. We want to compare the performance of my first gen motor to the vvti in these trucks.

The VVTi motors have been falling out of the sky and landing in our local pick n pulls over the past few months. I now have three 4.0 and two 4.3 VVTi motors. My two buddies pulled one 4.0 VVTi each for their own swaps. We cannibalize another in the yard for it's parts. We didn't pull it because we just don't have the room for anymore motors.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Any notable differences or forseeable hurdles with the vvti vs. first gen, besides wiring?

14. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

If you send the ecu off to Russia to have the immobilizer removed, wiring is just as easy as the 1st gen 1uz (assuming you go 5speed manual).
    The only other consideration is the fact that the VVTi motor runs a returnless fuel system. There's no fuel return on the rail. The system needs a continuous 50 psi of pressure. You can install an aftermarket inline regulator. On my supra, the fuel filter was tossed with the old motor. I found out that the corvette has a fuel filter with a built in regulator supplying 58 psi. I'm using this on my supra vvti swap and I'll soon see if 58 psi is too much pressure.
    [​IMG]

The fuel filter has a return port built in. Sorry to hijack your thread 90Daily but I'm sure you can use this info should you decide to do a VVTi swap in the future.

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  15. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    One day ill do a VVTI. Im sure someone can use all of the info in all the scattered 1uz threads and builds to create one giant how to 1uz your mini.

16. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    This arrived today. Spectre maf adapter to use this filter.
    [​IMG]

Old filter adapter was plastic and barely made it on after making new holes.

New filter adapter cut and new holes made.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  17. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    Nice build very mind opening

18. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Good job on the build bro, I recently started mine. I'm can't wait to see your final product:)

19. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Thanks. I'm just gathering more parts to finish this project. Also i have my eyes on a VVTI.:drunk:
    So im going to cut into my firewall and floor to install my transmission. I tried hammering away at the trans tunnel and woke up really sore this morning. Going to make an access panel to remove/install upper bellhousing bolts. This will make things easier in the future.

20. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Yea, the gathering parts parts is a b****. And what's different about the vvti that you will need to cut the firewall:/? Mine used to be a steering column shift so I'm aware I'll have to cut a hole in the floor for the w58. But that's an issue I'll get past when I get there