1st gen 3sge beams! Will it fit?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Yotaboy, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Picking up a first gen 1971 lux this weekend with no motor. Always loved the JDM Toyota Altezza 3SGE beams motor. Anyone have any experience with these motors? Curious to see if the oil pan will clear the OEM crossmember and if ill have enough room for a radiator. The intake looks bulky too but I think it can be done.

Any tips welcomed! Thank You

Heres a pic of the motor and trans
    And another of my old 1975 that I miss so muchhh

3s.jpg 3s2.jpg 75.jpg

twizted1 likes this.
  2. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    nice ass truck...good drop. clean roller!!

any more pics?

3. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    oh i just read it again thats your old rig, what happened to it? would love to see more pics of it and the details of your setup.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cade01 likes this.
  5. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Thanks for the love bro. I sold it like a dumbass, Big mistake. Ill make a short build thread for it. Im itching to build another one

6. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Damn Ive read every single build thread on the Pre 75 page, I must have missed this one! Looks like it wont be possible without doing frame modifications. I still havnt lost hope, I will still try to find a way around it using custom mounts and suck them in a bit for clearance and custom headers to avoid the steering components.
    Seems like the R series motors are the best bet here, Might have to settle with the 22RE

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    An R motor is going to be the simplest.

I have to say that the framerails on my truck seem to be the narrowest right where the motor mounts are. In front or behind that theyre wider.

8. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Ive been studying the 3sge and it looks like the motor mounts stick out pretty far. If I were to make custom ones it might storten the width just enough to squeeze it in there. my buddy has a 3sge in his garage. I will do some measurements on that and buy the truck and measure that as well to see what my options are. I appreciate the help brotha!

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Some good measurements of the engine would be good for a lot of us, i contemplated the same swap but after seeing the thread i linked, i strayed away

10. hiluxguy

hiluxguy Member

I want to put a 22RE in my 68 first gen.
    Please post some progress pics what ever engine you choose

11. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Will do bro.

12. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The Lola Lux build thread is mine. I don't think there is any way to get it to fit without serious mods, that's why mine ended up in a fab shop. It is a large engine for only being .2L bigger than the 18r. The exhaust goes directly into the frame/steering box/steering shaft, it may be possible but it will take sacrifices elsewhere. If yoy go over my build you will also notice the J160 trans is rather large and the trans tunnel had to be cut out, still not certain how far back my shifter is going to be(there is a kit to move it forward a good deal)

13. Yotaboy

Yotaboy Member

Thanks for the help bro, I decided to go a different route! I Recently picked up a 71 hilux with a 22RE. It needs a lot of work but I love i so far. Gonna start a build thread today

14. Bronchogg

Bronchogg Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    I've been contemplating the same swap into my 71. Looking at it, there's not much room as Cade01 mentioned. I know there are alternator brackets designed to "tuck" the BEAMS alternator in closer to the motor but have no idea how much that will help.

If you can somehow get around the width of the motor and narrowness of the frame, the other big obstacle is going to be routing the exhaust. The steering box is literally right next to the manifold/headers and custom might be the only way to go.

I've been wondering if widening the rails a bit and grafting the hot-rod go-to (Mustang II) front end might work. It may give the width needed while allowing the front end more than one or two options as far as suspension, brakes and steering goes. Obviously, you'd lose the manhole-proof subframe but it might be worth it.

nnywg likes this.
  15. nnywg

nnywg Member

Mustang II front end is a forward steering rack, and I wonder if the 3GSE's oil pan would foul with that. If you're going to be hooning one of these, powersteering is nice though. I think the IS200's have a rear steering rack for this reason, but I'm no expert - just what I can see from google.

These guys have a lot of info on the 3SGE for swapping in to Corollas. Their alternator relocate part gains 2" of clearance:
    http://www.sq-engineering.com/upgra...3sge-3sgte-beams-slimline-alternator-kit.html

I'd be more worried about where the shifter winds up in the cab. Haven't found any info on the 3SGE's 6sp transmission length yet...

EDIT: Since I was thinking about it, the bellhousing face to center of shifter on N10s is about 22". According to this article the J160 even with this expensive part is about 25.6", or closer to 30" without it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017