1994 Toyota Pickup Power Steering Gear Box steering issues

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by jblaust, Dec 9, 2015.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Urethane bushings aren't going to make the ride harsh. They just take out all the slop we become used to from sloppy rubber bushings.

jblaust likes this.
  2. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

Thanks for that White Trash. I also read that you pressed the OE ones out of the frame.
    Why not just burn them out?

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    You could burn them out for sure. If I was in my driveway I probably would have but I was doing the job at my brothers place on a 2 post lift so I didn't stink up the place. :lol:

4. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

Gotcha. Any downside to having the poly bushings?

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Nope. Urethane bushings are in my top 5 best mods list.

6. Pickup

Pickup Newbie

tell me of the other 4?

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Light weight flywheel
    1" master, dual diaphragm booster with braided lines
    Lce header
    1 ton sway bar & torsion bars

jblaust likes this.
  8. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    I'm still going to install my bushings, I just put it on hold while I work on the real problem. I dont have the time or patience to install the bushings myself, so its gonna cost me $400 labor to install with alignment. That money went towards the gear box instead.

9. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    So the new power steering gear box came today. It looks similar to the one i have, but the gear box has different casting numbers on it then the one that is in my truck now. Again the previous owner did a sloppy power steering swap on this truck originally. He may have used the wrong power steering gear box on the truck. Im thinking from an older truck. The casting numbers on the gear box installed in my truck is 35050. The casting number on the power steering gear box I received as a rebuilt OEM gear box for my year truck and model is 35090. The casting numbers are located in a different location on the box also. I haven't seen them side by side yet, but they look similar and the new pitman arm I bought also for my year and model truck fits perfectly on the new gear box. I also bought all new OEM mounting bolts, washers, and nuts for the gear box since the ones that are on there now are mix matched different sizes and are not OEM (from where they moved the box originally). Im wondering if they installed a gear box from an older truck and that might be my whole problem is parts are mismatched and frankensteined and that has been my issue all along. I have tried cross referencing the casting numbers and cant come up with anything. Anyone know a way to identify the correct power steering gear for my truck or what truck the one I have installed might have came from originally? The information from the seller I got the new one from is saying 35090 should be the power steering gear box for a 2wd 89-95 toyota pickup.

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Pre 89 steering boxes have a different build to them and the bolt pattern is different so it won't physically bolt up without modification. It is pretty apparent when you look at pictures of them both which is which.

jblaust likes this.
  11. Bradthreee

Bradthreee Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 xcab
    Man I'm having the same exact issue now. Wasn't as noticeable until I recently changed the steering link. Going to try adjusting the nut/crew on the steering box and pray