1989 (and now 1995) Xtra Cab build thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mutantcolors, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

The time has come.

In October, 2004, I paid $3,000 for my beloved '89 Xtra Cab. It has gotten my through college, 300mi away from home through the mountains, it's gotten me to more jobs than I can remember, it's taken me to uncharted territory every summer in my home state of Idaho. Not once did it complain, not once did it give me a problem even worth mentioning.

In 2006 or so the odometer broke. It's been at 132,628.3 miles ever since. I've probably got it close to 300k nowadays. This winter has been especially hard, and it's developed the 22RE timing chain rattle of death which eventually leads to a sawn-through water jacket.

I've had it in mind to restore/build my truck for a while now, but it's been my ONLY vehicle since 2004! That's how much I trust this thing.
    I just bought an '82 Supra in November, in part because it's awesome, in part to help give the truck a break.

Instead of redo the 22RE, I'd like to upgrade and move closer to the 21st century. After a LOT of digging, reading, parts hunting, researching, head scratching, I have carved out a workable plan. It started today when the replacement differential for the Supra arrived. That has implications for both my rides...

So back to all that research. After looking closely at many swap options (swaptions?) including rebuild or replace the 22RE, go all out with a 1UZ, be reasonable with a more modern 3RZ, go crazy 4 bangin' with a BEAMS Blacktop, I've focused in on the JZ series, for many reasons. Let's make a why and why not list.

It's worth mentioning that right now, we are having a record setting winter and all our junk yards are under a foot of snow that's now turning to slush/mud, so I've gone about this pretending I can't go yank a motor, for now.

22RE - Unbeatable dependablity, pretty good but not mind blowing MPG, absolutely gutless, goes 20k mi without an oil change...or so I've heard...and once you open up the bottom end the reliability goes out the window, or you can pay a top engine builder about $3500 for a refurbished block and head. No thanks.

1UZ - Fucking badass and cheap, but the $1000 manual conversion and ALL the following upgrades really undo the cost factor right away. Or I could just nuke my perfectly good W55. I seriously thought about this option though.

3RZ - 2.7L Tacoma engine...yeah those are about $3 grand or heavy on the mileage. NEXT

BEAMS - also badass, also cheap ($1300 WITH a 6spd manual!?) and really, a logical progression from a 22RE. BUT they're front sump only, import only, and while SQ Engineering has parts, they're in god damn Australia so good luck when you blow something.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Which brings us back to the Supra I bought. 1982 5MGE under the hood, runs nice but it's sketchy because 82s have some ultra rare one-year parts like the ingniter and vacuum distributor that WILL eventually put it under. Wherein I will swap...so why not have two of the same engine? Now that's reliability.

And that's why I'm focused on the JZ series. Huge aftermarket support/parts availability. Proven performance. Proven swaps into BOTH vehicles I have. Common. About the same MPG as my damn 22RE.

Right now I see the 2JZGE as my best option. I don't need that extra half liter, but I'll take it for the other advantages, as I found everything I would be after.
    Mated to a W58.
    Rear sump.
    Non turbo. N/A will be overkill for the truck as is.
    And all the inherent awesomeness of it being a 2J.

Here they are buried in the snow. Already kinda twins, destined to be the best of friends.
    [​IMG]

And the first part of the equation, the replacement diff for the Supra, which eventually leads to an LSD for the truck since they both run F code rears.

LSD oil only :)
    [​IMG]

Aaaand...my cat Kat lounging on the roof, from the kitchen window of my old college apartment.
    [​IMG]

Any and all advice and guidance welcome. This should be fun.

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

And then Speed Academy throws me a bone as I'm writing this initial post.
    The BEAMS is still a contender for the truck!

[​IMG]

VolksYota likes this.
  3. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    A big factor is what you want the truck to be. A 22R build would of course be easiest because you don't have to change or modify anything other than the engine. Of course power for $ spent will be limited. Any swap is gonna cost $$ no matter how much you do on your own.
    Have you considered a 5VZ swap? Less mods/fabrication than a JZ series engine (shorter, designed to fit from factory). If you want to go all out, I would say do the 1UZ swap.

4. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

It will resume life as my DD and adventure truck when it's all done. I see people on Lexus forums with the 2JZGE reporting between 18 and 26mpg, which is right in the range of my 22RE but with double the torque and HP.

I see shockingly close to that from 1UZ owners, and for that thing to move my truck around would take like no effort, but again, that's a mod-heavy project. If it becomes a headache after completion, the project is a failure.

I forgot a few details of the plan.
    1 - get the Supra up and road worthy - should happen Sunday
    2 - STOP using truck as DD before I make it through the water jacket and am totally fucked
    3 - tear down and repair timing chain guide with a steel replacement and new timing kit in the Spring
    4 - lots of nickle and dime maintenance, suspension, some light body work etc before the swap

Depending on how it runs after the timing chain repair I may keep plugging along with the 22RE, get it all prepped for the changeover and work on the kinks in the Supra in the meantime, of which there are rather few, thankfully.

Like I said, this is a long haul project. I'll have my eyes peeled for a 2J/manual combo, eventually pull the trigger, and then I'll go through rehabbing that purchase before it gets installed.

5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

THERE IS EVIDENCE!
    I am just in love with the performance to price ratio of a JDM blacktop with a manual 6 speed. It's right in line with what the truck was engineered for, so there shouldn't be any terrible handling surprises.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice hint with the wiring there...

Unfortunately these are from a shop that has closed down so I can't pick their brains.

6. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    i would go with the 1uz, there are a plenty of them out there and ya theres not much after market but will still be cheaper than BEAMS motor. Of course 22re is the cheapest.

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I've paid attention to the on and off nightmares some of the 1UZ guys run in to. And getting it to mate to a manual, ugh.

It would tear it up plenty with something a little more modest. I want it driveable as much as it is now.

By all means though, you're all welcome to keep convincing me on the 1UZ.

I'm taking a very logical, emotion-free approach to this. I think I'll whip up a cost analysis on these various swaps with what I know, and what parts will/might be required, see if I find any surprises.

8. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    I completely understand, I myself are going with the 5vz. Its what im currently swapping into my truck now.

9. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

If I go 6cyl, which is like 50/50 right now, it'll be a JZ. I think the engineering backs me up on a straight 6 being all around superior to V6, for smoothness, power production and longevity.

I am aiming at something like this, especially if I can get it local from a yard.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Lexus-...ash=item2cb845092d:g:qIEAAOSw-0xYbVOO&vxp=mtr

Those are straight up rear sump 5 speed manual 220some horse 200some ft lbs torque with mid 20s mpg I figure in my application and just laying around waiting for me...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Well, I'm pretty certain I popped the timing chain on the way home. Not all plans work out perfectly...

11. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

In related news, the Supra is now my DD and I found a local brain to pick who's familiar with both 2J and BEAMS swaps.

I made a half-assed offer on a 2JZGE/W58 combo, we'll see how that pans out.

12. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

After really digging up what my top two choices do, and how they do it, I've settled comfortably into the fact that a 2JZGE will be installed in my truck.

I want some under-the-hood road rage LOL...but I do TRUCK stuff with it mostly. Torque is crucial, and the Blacktop has approximately not very much, and it tapers way off by the time the HP kicks in, which is high up there in the rev range.

Car-part.com, here I come. I did learn we have a local Copart-USA repo/salvage lot in my area so I'll be hunting there as well. I found some separate 2Js and W58s last night, I should be able to come in right around the $1200 mark.

And yeah, I'm still buried in snow, with no signs of it breaking until March. So I'm still junkyard-less.

13. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

The snow is breaking up finally and I located 2 2JZ VVTi and 1 1UZ VVTi at a local pick-a-part for $300 a piece. YES.

14. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Total whiff on the junkyard 2J's, they've been picked apart. Not a total waste of a trip tough :)

[​IMG]

15. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

All this talk of the 2JZGE and then I find a guy with a very clean JDM 1JZGE VVTi at a killer price. This engine research and hunt has been a wild but redundant and informative but boring ride.

Now to keep knocking my head against the "does one of my W5x bellhousings fit a JZ motor" thing.

16. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    I'm retired from TOYOTA as their Senior Tech.
    Many moons working on them, also internationally. I can say this; throw that "beams" 3SG idea out the window brother... not worth the time or headache in the more practical day to day grind. More the anything I say this because good luck with practical support 3 years down the road should problems occur. You can go into most yards and find JZ or UZ's laying around dime a dozen, walk into any autozone, napa, pep boys and find parts for those engines.
    Not to bash it. It was great when it was in service and also for the cars Toyota meant for them to be in.
    As with any swap time money and modifications will always be for certain.
    IF* you took out the whole manual trans thing it becomes worlds cheaper. I'm only $650 in on mine. This is excluding the TCI shifter witch was $350 but COMPLETELY not need to get the truck to run and drive.
    The 2JZ 1JZ is a great choice and they make kits that almost make the process 100% bolt it!!! If you can try and avoid all the VVTi it will make things a bit simpler with the process.
    I've got access to all the repair manuals and EWD's if you need them. LMK
    Good luck and have lots of fun with your build!!!!

17. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Yeah, I moved on from the 3SG because of that and the powerband being the opposite of what you want in a truck.

Curious why you would say avoid VVTi. I'm the set and forget kind of person, and I like good MPG, and once she's in and running I don't have a whole lot of power upgrades in mind. 22RE to any JZ is a big enough step up haha.

Oh and cost be damned, I don't drive automatics.
    That thought creeped into my mind though, it'd be so easy.

18. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Nothing wrong by any means with VVTi more HP's and better mpg. The engines are more complex is all an wiring also requires a few more steps. If you find a junk yard motor and plan on doing a full rebuild of the engine then the VVTi cam controller is Kinda complicated to rebuild. And timing must be on point if not it will cause critical failure.
    Only reasons was for simplicity is what I was saying.

19. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Cool, I appreciate the input/warning. I don't pretend to be a mechanic, I'm gonna tag along for the ride on a lot of this stuff and learn from people better at this than I am, such as yourself and some mechanic friends I have.

I think for $600 delivered, I'm not gonna beat this 1J with under 40K miles. I've been hunting for weeks and all signs point to BUY.

20. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    1JZ is a great option!!! For 600 at the door that's a great deal!!! W5x or r154 trannys will work like butter!!! 1J is also a better built motor contrary to popular demand vs 2J. Stronger internals!