1989 (and now 1995) Xtra Cab build thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mutantcolors, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Happy to hear you think it's a great option, because I paid for it this morning and it'll be saying hello to my W56 Soon enough.

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I'm getting WAY ahead of myself here, but I'm feeling a set of these in the future. Trans Am snowflakes.[​IMG]

3. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

My welder/mechanic buddy volunteered his garage and knowledge for the swap, and wants to document it for YouTube, so that'll be coming to life in the next month or so. He gets a week off at a time and I plan on taking vacation to coincide with his time off, so we'll be hitting it hard and steady 'til the 22RE is out and the 1JZ is alive and pushing my truck down the street.

4. vegas_yota

vegas_yota Member

So the 5 speed trans out of my 89 toyota pickup will bolt right up to a 1j or 2j without changing the bell housing?

5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Nah I do believe I was wrong on that, I have to get a bellhousing for JZ to W5x. SC300 and IS300 came with JZ and W5x, but they aren't very common.

I thought about the adapter plate route, the JZ auto housings are like $80 vs $300 for a manual and I am completely capable of making a CAD file for someone with a plas cutter to make me an auto JZ to W5x plate like people use in the 1UZ swaps. Not sure the $$$ pencils out though, gotta hunt down a quote on the fabbing and material.

I wasn't 100% convinced I had to until today, I looked carefully at some details. Starter is on the opposite side, close inspection of photos of the engine side of 22RE and JZ housings delivered the bad news.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Bellhousing is different

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I see that Collins Adapters makes engine side adapter plates, and I got an encouraging quote from a shop today about fabricating something like this, so I might venture down that path.

If I can successfully get one done, I know a bunch of people here would love one simple plate to keep their stock tranny and bell housing and slap in a JZ or otherwise.

8. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Well, my engine has been sitting in Chicago for a week, when it was due to arrive today. They "marked it as hot" said the lady on the phone, so hopefully it'll be here before April...

I did learn that those Russian made tranny emulators work on any VVTi engine, so I know I can fall back on that if we hit any major snags in that department.

Other than that, the waiting game sucks. I've pretty much maxed out on research, I need an engine in my hands to take the next steps.

9. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

1JZ has arrived. Now begins the fun...

10. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

WELL...

This shop is 7 blocks from my house. Went in and had a good chat with the owner/diehard JZ enthusiast.
    I'm finding lots of good resources on this little journey that I've barely begun.

http://www.throttleworks.com/

11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Dang! Great find!

12. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

He used to have a personal 2JZGTE mini, said it was super crazy and got 25mpg. He knew all the tricky stuff I'm in for like he's done it 1000 times.

He popped the hood on a BMW with a 2J they're wrapping up and explained how they switched it from the electronic throttle to a cable. I won't have that issue as mine's pre-ECTS but it was cool he just had the engine and the knowledge right on hand.

13. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    That's awesome that you have a rescource like that...it helps out tremendously.... I have the same help with my swap as well

14. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

The plan may evolve a little or a lot tomorrow, found an 87 4Runner with 22RE locally, it has the same timing chain click of doom so I am gonna lowball hard and see what happens. Owner answered yes to "does it click?" and of course, he thought it was something in the valves. If something works out, 1JZ goes straight in the 4Runner (less fuckery in a 4x4) and the freshly yanked 22RE gets prepped for my '89, which will then head a much more street machine direction since the 4Runner will be the obvious mountain getaway option.

We'll see tomorrow. I's probably target a manual SC300 or IS300 after that from an auction and figure out how to mad scientist the whole drivetrain and suspension on over...

[​IMG]

15. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

No dice on the Runner, homeboy didn't care for my diagnosis.

1JZ maintenance parts ORDERED. Except in/ex gaskets, kinda tricky to locate those.

16. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I take it by the 1A on that 4runner plate that you're in the Boise area?

Edit: I guess I could have looked at the throttleworks page and figured that out, sorry.

Wish I made it up there more often. My wife has good friends and family up there.

I like your plan you have going there with the JZ and would love to do a JZ or a UZ swap into mine, but it's my daily and my wife would kill me if I took on a project like that. It took me a week to change transmission seals, so I can't even imagine how long an engine rebuild and swap would take.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  17. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Yes, I live in Boise. I need my truck up and running as soon as possible, too many mountain trips to miss out on in the next few months. Stanley is calling.

Highways 55, 95, 12, 73 and 21 will be all sorts of fun with an extra 90 horsepower.

18. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I think after this is all done, I'm gonna hunt down an automatic tranny model with a blown motor for cheap (I see them on craigslist pretty often) and venture into 1UZ land, and just skip over the manual conversion fuckery. Make it sweet, putt/shred around a little and sell it off?

We'll see. For now, I'm waiting for Driftmotion to ship my damn belts and seals and etc.

19. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Parts due in Thursday, chased down the intermittent power loss on the Supra, things are going well in my automotive world for the moment.

And I had the crazy/obvious idea to investigate going 2UZ in a pickup/4runner. Down low torquegasm! Wonder how the Tundra V6 manual tranny would play along...

20. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Major change in plans today, the Supra is gonna get the 1JZ and I'm going to continue hunting for something even better for the truck.

Things I know:
    I don't want oil pan/steering clearance issues.
    Modern Yotas have some bitching technology under the hood (dual VVTi, direct injection)
    The 2GR FSE looks like one bad ass option. More output than a 1UZ with 2 fewer cylinders and well over 30mpg highway...kinda spendy on its own but pretty common, I could hunt down a wrecked donor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017