1987 Toyota truck 22r engine install and possible performance upgrades

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by lovetowrenchit, Oct 19, 2015.

1. lovetowrenchit

lovetowrenchit Newbie

Truck:
    87 Pickup 2WD manual
    Well, I thought I would start my 1987 Toyota truck 22r engine install and possible performance upgrades thread...

Some background on me. I have been wrenching a long time as a DIYer and love it!. I have worked on many vehicles, tractors, mowers, diesels, ect, however I have only worked on two toyotas. The first one being my 95 runner 4x4 3.0 and my bosses 88 Toyota 22re 4x4 (original owner) truck, so I have a lot to learn about the toyota engine and drivetrain.

I have a 1987 Toyota truck base, one owner (it belonged to my bosses dad RIP)
    it has 257,000 on the original engine and drivetrain and the truck is clean, however I'm not a big fan of RED HaHa..

I got the truck through some trading with my boss. The truck sat for almost 6 months in my back yard waiting for me to work on it. I know own it:D

I was told that the engine ran hot and that's all I needed to know. I removed the oil pan and pulled a few shell and saw lots of copper, so I decided to pull the engine and purchase a used 22r with 65,000 on the clock.

I now have the purchased engine installed along with a new Sachs clutch kit.

I do have a Weber 32/36 carb kit from LC that I will not put on until I know how the lower mile engine runs, so it remains in the box for now.

I'm at the point where I'm trying to get the engine to run and it will for only a few seconds, if I prime the factory carb with gas. I can't seem to get any gas from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb. I can remove the fuel line from the carb and suck on it and I do get gas.

I know the mechanical fuel pump is in good working order. I wonder if I have the fuel hard lines that come out from under the intake manifold, hooked up incorrectly.

so this is where I'm stumped...not getting fuel to carb

I would appreciate any input on this, because I don't know everything, 'bout everything...

here are a few pic's. The Yellow clouds I drew with question marks are a few items I would like to know what they connect to
    [​IMG]

The two hard lines under the intake. I think the one on the right is the return and the one on the left is the fuel flow from the tank to the fuel pump?
    [​IMG]

thanks again for any help. I really would like to have this engine running so I can move forward...

2. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    The hard line on the fender is the return line. Looks like alot of hoses have been capped off near the carb.

3. lovetowrenchit

lovetowrenchit Newbie

Truck:
    87 Pickup 2WD manual
    thanks! 90DailyDriven
    I was told that was the supply hard line to the fuel pump, so I'm guessing that maybe that's my fuel issue?

4. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    I dont have my 22r anymore so i cant confirm it but from my diagrams the line pointing down should go to the line coming from the transmission tunnel bolted to the fram pointing up.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
  6. lovetowrenchit

lovetowrenchit Newbie

Truck:
    87 Pickup 2WD manual
    Thanks! The diagram is worth a 1000 words...cool that you inserted that for me.

I appreciate it!!!

7. lovetowrenchit

lovetowrenchit Newbie

Truck:
    87 Pickup 2WD manual
    So according to the diagram you attached. The right fuel hard line under the intake, should be the fuel supply from the tank to fuel pump?

The left fuel hard line under the intake should be the fuel return?
    So I only have 1 fuel line coming up from the frame on passenger side, so I'm assuming it goes to the right fuel hard line
    And the left fuel hard line connects to the 99* vertical hardline on the finder?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    Yup thats what the diagrams are showing

9. lovetowrenchit

lovetowrenchit Newbie

Truck:
    87 Pickup 2WD manual
    thanks! now I know that my carb on the used engine must have been sitting too long, so it's not working right. I believe it's time to install my Weber 32/36 carb kit with block off plates!

I can't do that until Saturday Oct 31st, so she'll have to wait, because I'm taking some R&R in Boca Raton, FL...much needed time:headbang: