1983 Toyota Stereo?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Funcrazy1, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Funcrazy1

Funcrazy1 Member

Truck:
    1983 Toyota 2wd Short
    Ok so I bought this 83 toyota and there is no wiring adapter at all for it?? How would I go to install stereo headset in it?

2. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Cannot splice the factory wiring? Green, purple, brown, red, black

3. Funcrazy1

Funcrazy1 Member

Truck:
    1983 Toyota 2wd Short
    I will look tomorrow 9pm here but where would thous wirings be at? forgot to mention it never came with speakers or anything in that manner I would be buying new speakers..

4. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    I dunno what those look like, but try look in the area behind where the stereo would be. If not should be able to splice into the regular factory wiring. Take power straight from ignition, ground it, run remote from the battery, run new door speaker wires to the deck, etc, etc.

5. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    When you pull the stock door panels, you'll notice a spot right under where the armrest goes that can be cut out for 4" speakers. just take a utility knife and cut out the tabs holding it in, and then the vinyl. Then 4" speakers go right in. There are holes on the doors in the jam about 2/3 the way up and on the body, you can route the wires thru there. Make sure and cut a hole in the backing paper too, or it gets jammed up in the window as it slides down. Leave slack in the door jam for the wiring too so that you're not pulling the speaker wire back and forth each time you open the door.

Hope that helps.

6. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    you need to find a switched power wire(turns power to the radio on and off with the key), run a fused wire either to the fuse block or right to the battery(constant power for clock and memory to keep your presets), a ground wire and then speaker wires to where ever you put your speakers. thats it, oh and plug your antenna into the radio too lol old cars and trucks are F'ing cake to hook stereos up in

7. Funcrazy1

Funcrazy1 Member

Truck:
    1983 Toyota 2wd Short
    got it working :D woot woot!!! So easy like you guys said!

8. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Glad you got it figured out. What kinda deck did you throw in?

9. Funcrazy1

Funcrazy1 Member

Truck:
    1983 Toyota 2wd Short
    I will take a video of it tomorrow.

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    your thread makes me lolz :D

[classic yota stereo rant]

toyota was one of the first to adopt DIN sized stereo's, it is actually not that hard to find a very bad ass head unit that fits in the stock location and uses the stock holes for knobs. you can take the brackets off the OG stereo and use them to mount ANY DIN SIZED STEREO. its just the hole through the plastic thats a issue, mount stereo first before you cut.

note: bad ass head unit usually requires some kinda secondary controller. like a pop up screen or epic remote.

you need a test light.

find the "hot with key at accessory or 'on' " wire under the dash near where a stereo would be. use that as your switched power. normally its the power to the radio, wires are there just not used.

run a new 12ga min lead straight to the positive terminal of the batt with a inline fuse equal to whats in the stereo for your constant power.

find the closest 10mm bolt that either is in the firewall, or in a bracket thats welded to the firewall (read: not dash board or dash brackets). and use it as a ground, the shorter the better. dont worry there are like 15 eligible bolt holes and any 10mm bolt will work.

6x9's fit well behind the seats.

i like down firing 4's under the dash, some times random OEM speaker boxes work out great.

[/ classic yota stereo rant]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. Blasito

Blasito Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2wd SR5 22R 5spd(man) - Chopped '84 Honda V30
    my kenwood head unit is in my gloveboxx lol stock radio is still in tho to trick would be scumbags from smashing my window