1982 Toyota 2wd Pickup suspension upgrade suggestions?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by spirituall, May 8, 2017.

1. spirituall

spirituall Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup
    I have a 1982 Toyota 2wd Pickup. I want to upgrade my suspension to carry extra weight and handle better. Mostly street and highway driving. Any suggestions on shocks, springs, etc? Who is a good vendor to purchase through too?

BeardNomad likes this.
  2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Energy Suspension, change all the bushings, Beltech , dropped spindles & dropped rear leafs, get the truck lower , good sway bars front & rear. I like & run Doeschtec shocks ,but there are many other good brands to choice from!

3. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    If you plan on hauling, you can get variable rate spring assisted load carrying shocks from Gabriel or Monroe.

4. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    I had KYB Gas Adjust shocks put on, very stout and really help handling. I would not lower it if one is going to haul much. Sway bar will help handling too.
    I have sitting here "the whole works" waiting for "some day", All new Japanese, OEM and high quality equivalent (Moog/Mcquay from Japan, no Chinese cheap stuff) complete front/rear suspension kit, all bushings, tie rods, rear leaf bushings and equipment etc.
    Extra engine access., Bumpers, front lights, Brembo rotors and drums, brakes, OEM Toyota door and window seals etc. about a truck load of stuff sitting in my house...
    Was over 4k worth of parts and stuff, this was going to be my hobby rebuilding my LB to super quality from ground up,... then my hands quit working after a spine injury.
    Even have a spare prerunner rear end with springs for hauling/camper etc., and a drive shaft.
    What ever you buy, get the Japanese good stuff, you won't regret it.

5. spirituall

spirituall Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup
    Thanks. My truck is used for construction, I just put a utility shell by ARE on it, and I want some heavy duty shocks, and stiffer leaf springs for the rear. What's the best place for shocks and springs like this? I want to keep the stock height as much as possible, right now my OEM leaf springs are flat with all the tools inside.

6. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    I tried the Monroe shocks, they lasted about a year or so, then said screw it, I wanted the high quality and went with KYB Gas Adjust (stronger than GR2). They are still stout and handle bumps and handling in general much better. KYB also makes the assisted shock.

7. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    If you want to go for a day drive, buy my complete kit and I would throw in the springs to double up, and a spare rear axle too...

8. spirituall

spirituall Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup
    I might be interested in talking to you about what you have there.

9. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    I sent you a conversation info message.

10. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    Drive shaft, springs and rear axle have been stolen, just went outback to check on it and it is gone. Good thing everything else is inside.

11. spirituall

spirituall Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup
    That sucks.

12. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    Yep, insurance deductible is the same as the loss, oh well, they also mentioned it goes on record when time to renew...might as well keep a positive vibe, make a fresh ground cup of coffee and move on.

13. 83SR5LB

83SR5LB Member

Truck:
    83 SR5 LB 2x
    Also, how many miles on your springs? add a leaf helps a bit, but for a couple hundred, you can get a new complete set, heavier duty and be much better off. If you carry tools all the time, even a 2" or so extra lift would possibly level out the truck with the weight. Get a good brand and cruise level and easy.