1981 Sound System Upgrade

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by davidg1228, Jun 18, 2015.

1. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    Hey Folks,

Well in the last few days, I have been struggling with my AM/FM radio. While it still works, the static is driving me crazy. I also didn't come factory with bluetooth :confused: :brickknock: I wanted a new stereo, but I do not want to take out the original one. I think having the original one installed looks really good and i didn't want to cut into the dash. That's a big no no :verdict_in: I started my research unknowingly one day, while surfing the web. I cam across a youtube channel, "Soundman". They install ipads into cars / trucks in the original location of the stock stereo. I didn't want an ipad in my dash. It wouldn't even fit anyways. I then saw what i been looking for, a Bluetooth unit that would pair to my iphone. It is a Wet Sound WW-BT-VC, which provides functions of volume, play, pause, skip, and forward and all from with this small knob assembly. All it needs is power 12 volts of power and ground, the audio goes out through a 3.5 mm jack. The only other thing needed is a amp for the speakers. The amp I will be running is a Kenwood KAC-M3004 which i paid only 119.99 at BestBuy regular price is 199.99. As for the door speakers, I will run the original size 4 inch round, but i have not yet choose a set. Let me know what you guys think. I will post picture of the progress as I start to do the install.

Links to the part I am using:

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kac-m3004/s

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Basically a remote audio system? So youd just keep the oe radio to keep it looking original?

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    There are company's that will take a stock tuner & up date it,they do this mostly with classic old cars,but should be able to do a old Toyota as well!!:cool:

4. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    Here are some pics. I was up till like 1 am installing the new gadgets. I finished but I think I didn't connect the speaker wire correctly. I will work on it again today. Just a sneak peak.

Attached Files:

5. lethalvisions

lethalvisions Newbie

Truck:
    '77 pickup
    i need to ge into this

6. Chili327

Chili327 Newbie

Truck:
    83 2WD SR5 Shortbed
    "Retro Sound" fits without cutting or modifying. No CD or Tape player, just radio, MP3 & Aux inputs. Also Amp preout hook ups.
    I know someone (another forum) who did all the research on the adapter plate before buying & said the Pontiac GTO, LeMans (not firebird) fits perfect.

rafafifa likes this.