1981 s4r 22r

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Teresa Morgan, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Teresa Morgan

Teresa Morgan Newbie

Truck:
    1981 Toyota S4R
    ok, I have an old girl who needs some TLC. she's been holding herself together, through thick and thin, but now is needing help.
    she started out just overheating a lot. we took out the temp gauge so we could put stop leak in her radiator. the radiator is still leaking, but she runs cooler now. its been three months, and she's still leaking. we check her radiator and oil levels every day, before we go anywhere, and she needs topping off about every three days, her oil will be a little low, and her radiator fluid. so we just keep bottles in the truck all the time. i know, i need to replace her raidator, or at least the hoses. or could it be the water pump leaking?

then she started slipping a belt. the one attached to the alternator, the one in back. it would squeel, and i could see the alt amps flutuating, I'd rev her just tiny throttles until the belt felt like sticking, and i'd get good charge. and then also she started to refuse to idle randomly when she'd get warmed up. some times running fine, and then just decide not to idle so if i needed to slow or stop, i'd have to pop her into N, keep her rpm's up to 1k manually with right foot while breaking with the left. till she decided to idle again.

I'm guessing i need to raise her idle speed, i see the throttle cable in the back, but there's also a screw somewhere i need to adjust? does she have anything else regualting her idle? I think it's called an idle stop solinoid? could that be it?

also what is that belt called? the one attached to the alt? i think it also runs the water pump. it's broke today so i need to replace that.