1976 pickup 5 speed swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by mbarrien3, Nov 25, 2014.

1. mbarrien3

mbarrien3 Newbie

Truck:
    1976 toyota RN28
    HEY hope someone can help me ... my 76 was a 4 speed transmission , the previous owner put a 5 speed trans on it, but It needed to be rebuilt . I took it to a place and this guys is always giving me excuses about not been able to get parts. Does anyone know what other 5 speed models will fit?
    I will really appreciate the help.

2. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

20R, right? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think any of the W-series transmissions should fit. Get a W55, W56, or W58, depending on your gearing taste.

3. whaemmel@hotmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

Truck:
    80 l.b. 3/4t 87 4 wheel s.b.
    trans. swap

The bell housings end fits 20,22r but the shifters come in different shapes where they bolt up to
    transmission, some are 4 bolt, some 6 bolt.and longer(rectangular shape). Also the distance to the mounts on the tail vary from bellhousing. You may have to move or change crossmember distance and pissibly cut out the floor hole. I have been told the early 5 speeds are weaker than later n my 1980 3/4 so I found a w56 to swap. My 87 wouldn't allow direct fit a 1984 5 speed so I found an 86 that did fit. You can measure transmount to bell housung and to shifter distance to bell to check.Not sure if the driveshafts are direct fit lengthwise.W

4. Hilush

Hilush Newbie

Truck:
    1979 RN41 2wd
    A steel case W series box out of a 70's RA celica will bolt up to your bell housing and they are stronger than hilux ones.

5. mbarrien3

mbarrien3 Newbie

Truck:
    1976 toyota RN28
    thank you for the help, I have an update, I got the transmission back from the shop but only worked for 2 weeks then got stocked on reverse. I was able to find a used trans from a 84 model but when i tried it the bellhousing did not fit, so I am still in the market for a 5 speed transmission or a bellhousin that will fit my 76 truck

6. Hilush

Hilush Newbie

Truck:
    1979 RN41 2wd
    You should be able to swap the bellhousing over all W series boxes have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing.