1973 reverse/backup light switch

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Against88, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Against88

Against88 Newbie

Truck:
    73 longbed 18rc
    Hello,

Just picked up a rough around the edges 73 long bed with 18R-C and 4 speed manual. It's been around the block, but has had a lot of little work done over the past 2 years.

The reverse lights don't work and that's my main concern as I believe I'll need to pass a light / safety inspection to register it in my name (California).

All other electronics seem to work.
    Here's the weird part: the switch (attached to the reverse gear of the tranny) looks like the part number designated for the 5 speed - Duralast/Back-Up Light Switch JA418 - Read Reviews on Duralast #JA418

As opposed to this, which should be on my truck (theoretically) - Duralast/Back-Up Light Switch JA425 - Read Reviews on Duralast #JA425

I ordered both from autozone and I'm hoping to test the current switch and feel confident about which should be installed by then (common sense would say the part indicated for my transmission as opposed to the one that perhaps just happens to fit)

If anyone has any thoughts, I'm all ears.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I pulled the one on my 4 speed and it looks like the one you posted for the 5spd. BUT my 18R was swapped at some point for a 20R so im not sure what trans is in it