1973 Hilux JapRat

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by BamBamSuperHot, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BamBamSuperHot

BamBamSuperHot Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    getting to work on my sweet japrat. Money is coming in and the hilux is getting some love. I picked the car up about a year ago were she was being sheltered in my buddy's shop when I had the opportunity to make her my own. I ended up putting in a couple days work to make her mine. I didn't know that owning a hilux is vary high maintenance. To start of it only likes fresh air in the tires. You can't run any stale air in a vehicle this high maintenance. And what goes with fresh air is fresh fuel. That flat gas is no good for the 20r.

So parts are coming in. I have so new half inch white walls coming in soon. I would of liked to go wider but need tires now. Going with an aluminum tank that is getting placed in the bed coming in the next couple days. It hadn't run in 9 months did a oil change, redid the fuel lines, replaced filters ran gas from a can and it fired up. I have a few things to do then it's solid.

Attached Files:

2. BamBamSuperHot

BamBamSuperHot Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Can anyone tell me about a header for the 20r. Got a bad Crack in the original manifold . I want to use a header i found on ebay but not sure if it will fit on a 2wd 20r without hitting something.

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Welcome!

Looks like a fun project truck. Why you planning to use up bed space for the gas tank? Patching tank not an option?

For header, you've got to worry about clearance to the steering box, but they can be done lots of 20r people run them. Not really sure if that applies to your truck because I thought the 73 would have come with an 18r not a 20r, tiough they're from the same R series family, I'm not sure on clearance.

I have a Hedmann header on my truck and it just barely clears the hardware for the steering box. The PO had trouble tightening it up snug because of this, but I was able to with a few socket extensions and strong will.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shouldve had an 18R in there but probably like mine some one swapped it haha

5. BamBamSuperHot

BamBamSuperHot Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Yup but the 20r is a reliable motor. I'm planning on keeping her alive for awhile.

6. BamBamSuperHot

BamBamSuperHot Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I want to do a hot rod look. I also plan on bagging it and from what I'm told the drive shaft hit the tank at some point. Thought it was best to get rid of it now for bag sake.

7. BamBamSuperHot

BamBamSuperHot Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
  8. AspireCycle

AspireCycle Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed 5 Speed
    I got a hedman header also. We had to cut about half an inch off of the pipes coming out of the block so it would better clear the steering box. We will still have to trim a little bit off of the steering box bolts and maybe find a thinner nut to use, but it works.