1971 Hilux front Drum/Disk swap

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Timmyyboy2, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Timmyyboy2

Timmyyboy2 Newbie

having trouble. My uncle started this project and spent a lot of time and research and its not all working out. Changed out the ball joints to new stock ones. The disk came from a later model (75-78 I belive) hilux. Some sites say that it is a direct swap and others say that the lower ball joint need to match the year of the disc. Well the stock one is too small(wiggles in the lower mounting hole) and the ball joint that match the year of the disk works in the mounting hole of the disk but the three bolts that go up into the control arm are off by just a little.
    Do I have to change out the lower control arm? Or is it possible that the disks are not from what they said they were from?
    Help?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not sure if this will help but i did the swap on mine 72 2nd gen and everything was a direct swap EXCEPT for the brake lines. I had to get the 3" extended ones from LCE

3. Timmyyboy2

Timmyyboy2 Newbie

What year disc did you use?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Honestly all i know is that the parts were from 75-78, nothing more specific.

5. Unxpected80

Unxpected80 Newbie

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I just did front disk conversation on my 73, it was a direct swap, but i did change the ball joint control arms and all the bushings and shocks since it was all worn out, the one thing that took me a while to find was I had to buy a booster pump and master cylinder from a 78 hilux Make sure it has porportioning valve. If not it won' work. And you can' buy that separate everything else you can't find at AutoZone or part stores.

6. Timmyyboy2

Timmyyboy2 Newbie

Was your lower ball joint wider on the throat than the top one? Trying to figure out what is wrong? We have a booster from a GEO in there right now.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not sure about @Unxpected80 but i used balljoints for a 73 and they fit the 75+ spindles just fine

8. Unxpected80

Unxpected80 Newbie

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Everything that hold the disk and calipers from a 75 fit right on my 73, all the joints and arms are from a 73.

jetas likes this.