16x7 Jeep Cherokee wheel fitment issue (video & picture)

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Mctweed123, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Mctweed123

Mctweed123 Newbie

Hey guys, this is my first post! I just got a 77' SR5 and I managed to scoop up 5 wheels off of an old Jeep Cherokee. Everything I read online () says that they are 4.5 and 114.3.....So they should fit right? Well today I managed to test fit one on the rear and the bolt pattern works, but there is quite a bit of left/right movement before they are tightened down. Is it just a case of needing larger bolts? I have attached a link to a video that gives an idea of what i'm talking about. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys/gals!

https://youtu.be/oAsuV_ndKdU

Don't worry, I wont drive around like this, I'm just test fitting them! :waytogo:

[​IMG]

2. Mctweed123

Mctweed123 Newbie

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Those are the wrong type of lug nuts for those wheels. Dont drive on em til you get the right ones

4. Mctweed123

Mctweed123 Newbie

Alright, thanks for the quick response! I figured that was the case, and am definitely replacing the lug nuts. I'm just concerned about that left/right movement prior to tightening them down.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The lugnuts aren't ideal but the can be driven on if you'd like to. What you need for aluminum wheels is a "bulge" style lugnuts since it won't possibly dig the hex portion of the nut into the aluminum.

The side to side play is perfectly acceptable since the nuts do the centering.

6. Facime

Facime Newbie

yeah, what you need on those are "acorn nuts". They do the centering as was stated previously.

[​IMG]

The other issue you are having is that center bores of the wheels do not match the hub-centeric rings on the axles/hubs. When properly matched the wheels will center up during installation. This is helpful but not critical in alloy wheel applications that use an acorn nut design. Its more important for wheels that use a shank style lug nut.