Patina or fresh paint?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Rynosaur, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I purchased my hilux from a member on the forum and I don't regret it one moment!! I love this thing. But it was some pretty gnarly surface rust, the bed being the worst spot, but I'm torn between

Slowly pulling dents and body work with some fresh paint,

patina

I need to act fast as the surface rust is spreading. Right now I'm leaning towards the keep the patina as it best suits my pocket lol. What's the best way to do it? CLR & Hit the rust hard with some scotch bright and rubbing some kind of oil on it? Or clear coat? What do you guys think???

I've been reading up on the subject a lot just trying to get some real Toyota owner opinions on it!

(Trying to figure out how to add photos from mobile device )

Last edited: Today

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Matte clear if youre going to keep the patina.

3. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Jetas like matte patina, I like it shiny, I saw a youtube video the guy just used coarse cutting compound on a buff, and then waxed it. I would probably sand it with 1000 or 1200 grit first though. Its cheap and easy and if you change your mind you can still paint it. Im going to put some door decals on mine and I was going to clear coat it, but after watching this, I think ill just wax it.

Rynosaur likes this.
  4. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

I would like to upload a photo of my bed to see what you guys think, i might have to give it some treatment. Can someone help me with this photo issue? Its telling me I can't upload an image bigger than 2mb. Mine are sitting at about 2.94mb, do I need to go through a 3rd party?

5. Rynosaur

Rynosaur Member

Cool video is going to give that a shot! It always worries but putting sand paper tonic though lol

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I got bored one day and decided to polish a section of mine and thats when i realized i didnt like shiny patina lol