The thing that should not be. I call her Penelope

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by cb1988, May 20, 2015.

1. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Alright and so begins the build thread on this beast!

Intro here: http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/introduce-yourself-3/re-introduction-im-all-time-20754/

For tonight here are my early shots.

--Re-posted the main story--

I was working for one of the auto parts chain stores and always had my '83 parked around back. All of the regular customers knew who's ride it was. I had one customer with a '76 yota that I would help whenever he came in. I also really liked his truck so it was fun. One day he came in and said he was getting fed up with it giving him trouble all the time. Without thinking I blurted out, "Hell, I'll buy it then!" He said no initially but a few weeks later I got the call to come and buy it dead parked at the grocery store. A call to AAA to and $350 later I was the proud owner of the truck.
    --
    After buying the old truck from the local grocery store parking lot I waited for AAA to send me a wrecker to bring her home. As it turns out the wrecker driver is a friend of mine who wasted no time in giving me **** about my new purchase. And there was another issue...The entire truck, bed and cab was totally full of trash. I quickly threw what I could in the cab and soon we got rolling down the road. I was following close in my '83 grinning eagerly all the while dodging paper plates and other various trash that flew out during our 15mi trek home. I got it home and filled two big dumpsters full and had the truck "clean" I did find a new bottle of ibprophen and some interesting literature which was a nice bonus.

The engine bay was totally covered in oil, Unsurprising in fact because I was informed that the truck needed a qt per gas stop. battery held on with bungie cords, coil was super-rednecked up to 11 and also held on with bungies. I think I collected about twelve bungie cords from the engine bay. The ignition was pre-hotwired passenger door glass broken, and the interior is pretty much as pictured currently.

I got the original 20r running very very briefly. Another funny story..But then snagged a 22r for a good price. That will be the next installment in my build thread saga. I have much to share!

Its rough as hell and I think most anyone else would've scrapped it but I love it. Can't explain it, but yeah I do.

Here are my earliest shots the engine bay was much much worse! I just was too nasty after working in there to hold a camera. (Also early testing of GM ignition module)

Attached Files:

rickhz likes this.
  2. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Hey everybody! Been slammed with work and wrenching on this thing!

I've moved beyond this point but I figured I should post some progress shots.

Stripped the engine bay, sand blasted and primed then painted back to the OG blue. It was just too nasty in there I had to make it right.

The last shot is the 22r that I picked up for it. I initially planned to rebuild the original 20r but I got a nice price on this engine. Owner had it rebuilt for a project but never used it. Came to me as just a block with a head installed so I added a few goodies. Offy dual port, weber 32/36, Hooker header. May do a 20r head later but thats a ways off. And against my better judgement I polished the valve cover hehe. Damn time consuming job that was.

Been putting a lot of time in on the truck lately, should be able to fire it next week :D More pics coming.

Attached Files:

rickhz likes this.
  3. cb1988

cb1988 Member

As it sits currently. Moving forward.

Got the motor in, plumbing almost done, just gotta route my fuel and vacuum lines and then wiring begins. I'm really not looking forward to wiring. The PO hacked a lot of stuff.

Found a grille on ebay to replace that ridiculous one that was on there. Picked up a set of slotted mags to be cleaned and polished soon. And yellow highbeams cause, JDM yo! :D

Attached Files:

rickhz likes this.
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Nice progress bro. Guna run the same wheels on mine haha

5. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Thanks man! Slot mags just kick too much ass, always a good choice. I probably wont be saying that after I spend days polishing them out though :) I was planning to run the stock steelies and caps but I couldn't resist.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    yea getting that baked on brake dust and grime **** off aint guna be too easy. Your arms are going to get a work out.

But! Polished mags and whitewalls are a good look.

7. madstriker

madstriker Member

Truck:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Nice

Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to see it done.

8. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    very nice. love the color and the restoration work in the engine bay. Git r done.

9. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I am hoping to fire it this weekend (fingers crossed) If not then next weekend. I haven't been able to put in a lot of time this week as it has been too damn hot, 110 inside the shop after work makes me not want to stay after hours haha.

in other news...

I have stripped back a fender to see how much original color I can bring back. Got a nice amount of the real blue to come back but, there are lots of layers under that house blue. So it wont ever come back perfect. I'm thinking I might strip the whole body down to the original blue and patina and just run whatever is hiding under that brushed on latex paint. I like the idea of clean solid mechanicals with a ratty exterior. I gotta let the truck have some character. Realistically this thing is really too beat to properly straighten and shoot. I don't think I could stomach putting primer or fresh color over a nasty body.

Attached Files:

10. cb1988

cb1988 Member

BUMP This project isn't dead! I almost was though. hence the lack of posting and progress. I've been dealing with some crazy health issues and recovering from brain surgery. I was in a coma for a bit and nearly got parted out myself. I*t has been a rough journey But I'm starting to get feeling better and would love to get going again on the old 76. Its been sitting in the yard for quite some time looking pretty sad. Just waiting for me to get better.

Since the last post back in 2015. The truck has wiring complete and was running and driving for a bit. Fuel pump randomly cuts out. Not sure why, new wiring system and in tank pump. Oddly my rebuilt weber 32/26 takes quite a bit of force to operate and actually bent the linkage lever under throttle! So, I bought a lokar throttle cable kit and plan to run a cable rather than the stock rod setup. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Now that the project is back on my to do list is:

Throttle Cable
    Diagnose fuel pump issues. Go with a mechanical pump?
    Locate W50 for 5 speed swap. 55mph at 3k is terrible. This truck has 4:10 rear gears
    Find highway gears for the rear end
    Rebuild drivers side door and make window work
    Install lowering blocks in the rear. Not liking the rake anymore
    Body work?-Should I? Or continue with patina plan?

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn sounds like its been rough the last few years. Glad to see youre able to get back to it and rebuild this beast along with yourself lol

12. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Thanks man! Its been a long road. How is your project going?

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Finally driving the damn thing! Check out my build thread. I try to update it here and there

14. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Good to hear your getting better. What ever happened to that ugly arse grill? Go with the patina plan, just scotch bright the hell out it and give it a coat of clear, it will look awesome. Ive done the whole perfect paint thing, its way over rated, always freaking out about every little stone chip or scratch... or someones dog pissing on my wheels.
    Honestly it drove me nuts, now i spend my time making my truck go better or having fun with it.
    Have a look at this GMC, it looks sweet, all they did was rub it back and clear coated it http://www.welderup.com/builds/fruit-rod/

15. cb1988

cb1988 Member

The ugly grille went in the scrap pile. I almost hung it on the wall as a bizarre example of what not to do! Well said about the patina plan. I don't want to be stressing about scratches and dents. Fun has been the theme all along.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just dont do a gloss clear. Matte on patina looks way better

17. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I quite like the shinny look, this guy just cut a and polished his truck, which is always a really cheap option.

18. cb1988

cb1988 Member

Update! I've got the truck running again. Finished my new throttle linkage, installed a stock mechanical fuel pump after the electric in tank pump continued to be problematic.

I found a W50 and it is headed this way! Anything I should know about the swap from L43?

I've also picked up a parts truck with nice body panels and other good stuff. Looks like I might be able to turn this thing around after all.

Clay likes this.