Stereo and AC went out

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by _Rigo_, Apr 24, 2018.

1. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

My air conditioner went out, (not blowing cold air) after i re did my interior, i checked all the fuses, looked fine, also the radio isn't working anymore.. idk if im missing something, i checked everything i disconnected, (which wasnt much).

second thing: i want to put an original radio deck in it, but it seems they're pretty damn rare (anybody have the model number, or where i can find it?). is there any other close options you know of? i came across one from a 1980 online, but don't know if it will fit flush. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Corroded electrical is my guess on the stereo. Some days stuff on my truck works, others it doesn’t and I’ve sorta determined it’s bad electrical connections due to age and corrosion/oxidation. I first cleaned the contacts in my fuse panel which was pretty oxidized.

I still have a stock radio laying around but I moved and have no clue where it’s at currently, but I can see if there’s a part number or something on it. I kept it just in case I won the lottery and wanted to have a company like Retro Sounds (?) upgrade the internals to modern tech.

I couldn’t really find any modern units that fit the dash without chopping it for a larger hole, which then potentially makes stereo trims overlap some of the details in the dash plastic, which I didn’t want. Temporarily I’ve been using a stereo delete block plate which I think looks pretty clean, it’s a stock part I believe - can see if there’s a part number on it too.

No idea on the AC other than my truck is jealous yours has it.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hell jiggle the wires on the backside of the fuse box. Theyre pretty much male and female disconnects.

For the AC, do you hear the compressor kick on? If not then its not getting juice.

For the radio no clue how it was wired so who knows where its tapped for power. Could be tied to the AC.

4. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

Hahahahhahahahahahha wow man that's a whole lot on those sentences hahaha much appreciated you let me know!

5. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

Yea man the air compressor is still working and and the vents still push out air.. I guess it just happened to run out of refrigerant at this time? It's been cold and just got the truck in March, and it seemed to be working then. So.. idk I'll jiggle the wires lol

jetas likes this.
  6. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

As far as how the radio was wired, it looks like a whole kind of mess.. my buddy took a look at it for me, since he has more experience with electronics, and he wasn't sure of anything because the wires are all different colors.. when I get the deck I want, I'll just take it to a friend of mine that has a stereo and tint shop

7. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

Screenshot_20180425-154607_Gallery.jpg i might have found the problem, it's currently raining, I'm in the truck trying to figure some things out and plug up some leaks, I pulled out one of the speakers and there's water back there. -_- so gonna test the speakers. That's probably it..

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Oooh, could be it. Where does it leak into your truck?

Mine leaks somewhere too, havent' figured out if it's the windshield gasket or condensation raining down from the inside

9. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

So the previous owner did some messed up diy windshield weather strip idk how the F he would think that would work. Leaving like 1/4 inch gaps between strips.. I've located 3 on that strip, so far.. I've taken out the strips along the inside of the door so I can paint black to match the new interior, I think (if I'm lucky) they should plug up the 2 leaks I noticed today coming from the top of the doors.. I'm also thinking the weather strips on the windows are just like that, with gaps at the end of them because the water just drains out from under them. Have you seen that?
    I just find it odd that water runs right behind the speakers..

10. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

11. _Rigo_

_Rigo_ Member

PS the speakers are fine, it has to me the wiring..

12. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Do you have the part number (and pic) of the delete block off plate? I just cleaned up the wiring under the dash and kept the stock radio in there, although it’s not hooked up to power.

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I can see if I can get you a pic later today. Might have a part number cast on the back-side, I dunno though. I've only seen one for sale on eBay, mine just happened to be in the spare parts box from the previous owner.

Edit: Just looked on eBay to see if I can find one, I'll get some measurments of mine, perhaps something else will work - such as this overpriced one for an FJ40, holy moly they're crazy for asking this price! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lan...tyMailSmallFlatRateBox!95658!US!-1:rk:70:pf:0

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  14. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Yeah, I looked on ebay too before asking you. I saw the FJ one and its like $150!
    If you can get some pictures or measurements, I can just 3D print one.

15. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
  16. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Wow!! Thank you sir! I’m quite jealous of that piece.