new to the scene and need some advice

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Charles Brown, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

i have a 1993 toyota pickup base model completely stock. it still has the 14 inch steelies and im looking to upgrade, however my truck is a non power steering model so i am looking for recommendations on wheel and tire combo looking for something simple and low key 15x7 maybe 15x8 simple crager or American racing wheels but am worried about non power steering and the wide tires any help would be really appreciated thanks

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    i've got 15x7 american racing wheels with manual steering, and it isn't a real problem. Paralell parking can take some elbow grease, but as long as you're rolling, there should not be a problem.

3. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

awesome what size tires are you running on it if i may ask
    thanks again

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Are you planning on lowering it?

5. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    I've had so many vehicles with no power steering and it's only ever been an issue for me in places like San Francisco or similar counties where there's a lot of "short" driving and horrible parking... You learn when to set your coffee down I guess LOL. But hey man it's good for the arms and only an issue under like 5mph. Widest tire I've had was 275, so don't worry too much.

6. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    So True! The ONLY time that I don't like my manual steering.

7. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

has anyone run staggered set up like 15x7 in front and 15x10 in the rear

8. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    a lot of people do that, just means you can't rotate your wheels

9. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

with doing the staggered wheels did anyone have issue with the offset and need extend studs etc

10. BatryOpratedBoy

Truck:
    Man, I was hoping someone would jump on that!

@Charles Brown I run somewhat staggered, 235 on an 8" wheel in back and 215 on 7.5 in front. No lug replacement needed but then I did add spacers to make sure my https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius wasn't super crazy. I rotate tires when the mood strikes LOL.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  11. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

can anyone tell me what tire sizes there running with 15x7 staggered or not just curious of my options

12. BatryOpratedBoy

Truck:
    Alright. 15x7 wheel. According to http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart a good spread is 195-225 in tire width. Stock tire size was either 195/75r14 or 215/65r14 so stock OD is 24.5". We can either stretch or go fat and alter final drive ratio by playing with different sizes on https://tiresize.com/converter/

But I want to point out that a few topics down... post #17, White Trash lists 4 potential tire sizes and posted pictures in the aggressive fitment thread (but stupid photobucket broke the internet).

If you want a super bad-ass staggered setup, I'd run 205/60 and 225/55 OR 235/50 if you're feeling froggy, but you may have to pull bedsides. Just play with it man and then hammer down. Just keep in mind that rubber is heavy, and you need some meat on the front for safe braking.

Hands_On_Henry likes this.
  13. Charles Brown

Charles Brown Newbie

from what ive seen from shopping im thinking of running a 205/60 in the front and a 225/55 in the rear mainy because of tire prices and availability for wheels im thinking some crager soft 8 in 15x7

14. loki

loki Newbie

Ive been struggling with this issue as well. Here is my current situation.
    91 Toyota pickup 2wd. Previous owner had it lifted so I removed all that bullshit and slapped on bell tech drop spindles and 3” blocks on the rear.

My torsions are still cranked all the way up but do to the wheel setup I have I can’t drop the torsion height down. Right now I’m running 2001 Jeep Wrangler wheels 15x8 et 25.4 (5.5 backspacing). From rough measurements I can bring the rear outer lip out 0.75”-1.0” so that means an 8” wide wheel with 0 offset (4.5 bs).

For the fronts I’m doing a bit more guessing. Right now there is a 1.0” spacer/adapter which is pushing this wheel to far out. This is the reason I cannot turn my torsions down. Really really rough estimate is that the outer lip needs to come in about 1.0” and yes I had the same thought of moving the spacers on the front to the rear and all would be good but due to the small cap diameter jeeps uses this is not an option. Won’t clear the grease cap.

So the next option I see is to put 4x4 fenders on the front to help gain some clearance but am unsure if that will be enough to run 8” wide wheels with 0offset with intention to tuck the wheels.
    I do about 120 miles a day on freeway with this so there is also that to deal with lol. Would love to hear from some people that commute with lowered minis about their setups.